Thread: AutoCAD seems to open a large temp file with every drawing that is opened

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD seems to open a large temp file with every drawing that is opened

Greetings all,

I have a user who’s AutoCAD seems to open a large temp file with every drawing that is opened. These temp files take up enormous amounts of page file space. This is odd because no other machine on the network does this. The obvious problems are an extremely slow operating CAD station and multiple crashes throughout the day. My guess is that this problem is caused by some system variable in AutoCAD. I’ve tried all the Windows maintenance things I could think of – expand the page file, update .NET, update video driver – but at this point I’m at a loss.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Much thanks in advance for any input.

Mods, please place this post where most appropriate.

Thanks,

I could stop if I wanted to Doodlemusmaximus's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD seems to open a large temp file with every drawing that is opened

Quote Originally Posted by jpduhon
    Greetings all,

I have a user who’s AutoCAD seems to open a large temp file with every drawing that is opened. These temp files take up enormous amounts of page file space. This is odd because no other machine on the network does this. The obvious problems are an extremely slow operating CAD station and multiple crashes throughout the day. My guess is that this problem is caused by some system variable in AutoCAD. I’ve tried all the Windows maintenance things I could think of – expand the page file, update .NET, update video driver – but at this point I’m at a loss.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Much thanks in advance for any input.

Mods, please place this post where most appropriate.

Thanks,
    Does the temp file open up on the network? If so you could always change the settings in options/files temporary file locations to place it on the hard drive.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD seems to open a large temp file with every drawing that is opened

Quote Originally Posted by Beldin
    Does the temp file open up on the network? If so you could always change the settings in options/files temporary file locations to place it on the hard drive.
    The temp directories are on the local drive but the temp file that gets written is inordinately large. The primary cad file is around 250KB and the base xref file is around 5MB but as soon as the file is opened the system page file jumps from 320MB to 550MB+.

Since yesterday I tested this machine with several other files and several other projects and it seems that it just happens with files that have this particular xref embedded in them. Per our standard all xrefs are set to overlay, not attach so it’s not a circular reference problem.

I’m stumped.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpduhon
    The temp directories are on the local drive but the temp file that gets written is inordinately large. The primary cad file is around 250KB and the base xref file is around 5MB but as soon as the file is opened the system page file jumps from 320MB to 550MB+.

Since yesterday I tested this machine with several other files and several other projects and it seems that it just happens with files that have this particular xref embedded in them. Per our standard all xrefs are set to overlay, not attach so it’s not a circular reference problem.

I’m stumped.
    You may have already tried this, but I would suggest opening the reference file and running an Audit and then Purge it.

Also, run the command line purge command (-purge) and purge the "Regapps". Purge "All" does not remove Regapps for some reason, and they can inflate file and temp file size.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Augi Doggie
    You may have already tried this, but I would suggest opening the reference file and running an Audit and then Purge it.

Also, run the command line purge command (-purge) and purge the "Regapps". Purge "All" does not remove Regapps for some reason, and they can inflate file and temp file size.
    Thanks for the tip to get rid of the registered apps. This only helped a little. Very little so the problem must be somewhere else.

I did notice that the user has setup several x-clips and copied the xref around a lot. My suspicion is that these multiple instances of a 5MB (now 7MB) xref is what the primary problem is. I’ve instructed the user to remove the xclips and just use one instance of the xref. We’ll see if that works. This kinda smelled like pilot error from the beginning.

Thanks again

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

I have had this problem once...Unfortunately, everyone from Avatech to Autodesk themselves could not figure out what the problem was...I actually had to do a clean re-install...Delete all folders and registry items...Autodesk is usually good about removing the folders and registry items when you uninstall, but do not forget the folder that are in Documents & Settings...