See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Overlapping lines - how to delete them?

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Overlapping lines - how to delete them?

Hi guys,
    I have recently received number of drawings ( Mechanical ) which were created in different
    Cad package (3D?) then converted to Autocad format. When I try to edit them, using Autocad Lt 2006, they seem to have lines that overlap others thus make it so difficult to snap to the exact location when select or pick the objects. Is there any way to get rid of lines that hidden under others? (I I've tried the layer option but it does not seem to help since they are not really belong to a certain layer.)

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Overlapping lines - how to delete them?

Okay.

In the Erase command, use any of the mass selection methods (Window, Crossing, Polygon, Fence, etc), type R (for Remove) and pick one item. All but the one item will be deleted. With the default setting of the variable SORTENTS (96) the oldest object in the selection set will be the one that is kept. Setting SORTENTS to 127 before using Erase will make the latest object be the one that is kept.

Someone will probably suggest using Overkill but you can't because you are running LT not full acad.

HTH

Login to Give a bone

Hello Jaberwok,
    Thank you for your suggestion. I tried and successfully make the command work. However what can be done if the dwg is a large drawing,( about 13 Mb) full of lines and layer? and I do believe that there are hundred of them being overlapped and to make the matter worst, It seem not belong to only one layer that you can just Quick select them.( It was a very bad way of creating the dwg by one of 3D package...).
    Last week you mention about "Overkill"? I've never heard of it, can you tell me more about it? I could use one of my boss work station to do it. I believe he has Autocad 2006 version installed.
    Thanks again, and Have a good weekend.
    Huuthu.

Login to Give a bone

Hi.

If your boss has full A2006 then he should have an extra pull-down menu called "Express Tools" - Look there.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok
    Hi.

If your boss has full A2006 then he should have an extra pull-down menu called "Express Tools" - Look there.
    And to help narrow your search in the pull down menu. try 'Express' -> 'Modify' -> 'Delete duplicate objects'

Edit: You could also just type OVERKILL at the command prompt. If the Express Tools are loaded, then typing the command should work as well. But, of course, this will not work for any LT version of AutoCAD unless another 3rd party program enables LSP, ARX, etc. commands to run.
    Last edited by Opie; 2006-07-19 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added additional information
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    And to help narrow your search in the pull down menu. try 'Express' -> 'Modify' -> 'Delete duplicate objects'

Edit: You could also just type OVERKILL at the command prompt. If the Express Tools are loaded, then typing the command should work as well. But, of course, this will not work for any LT version of AutoCAD unless another 3rd party program enables LSP, ARX, etc. commands to run.
    Thanks, Daug.

I just came back to add that info - as I only had LT in front of me earlier.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok
    Thanks, Daug.

I just came back to add that info - as I only had LT in front of me earlier.

I don't have LT so I was trying to help out in whatever way I can.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Thank you .
    I had the dwgs work just fine with the help of my boss work station.
    Have a nice weekend. HuuThu.

Login to Give a bone

How can I select a line that is over another? In full ACAD I could by Ctrl and left pick untill the line you want is highlighted then hit enter to isolate the line. Is something like available in LT09?

Active Member kate.morrical61357's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You now have to hold down Shift and hit the space bar until the object you want is highlighted.
    Kate Morrical
    Digital Design Manager
    Robert Silman Associates
    http://blogs.autodesk.com/ltunlimited