See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Objects appear on DWF files that should not appear, when using Clipping Planes

Login to Give a bone

Default Objects appear on DWF files that should not appear, when using Clipping Planes

When we create DWF files, some of our drawings (the ones where we are drawing entities at various elevations and using clipping planes to view / move between elevations) some line work from other elevations not in the current display, appear in the DWF files.

To be specific. We have a block with a circle that has segments trimmed out and some attributes and one line. When we create DWF files (using AutoCAD 2004) the circle segments from elevations not in the current view (front and back clipping planes are set to hide other elevations) will appear at the current elevation.

We have also seen this when printing to other output methods but only in the print preview not on the actual output. Some of our clients, when sent our drawings and printing using another print driver will actully get these to appear on the output too. I assumed this had to do with the print driver until it appeared in the DWF files.
    ----
    I just recreated the drawing of the block from scratch in AutoCAD2004. (The original files was a Release 14 drawing file.)

I didn't trim the circle entity this time so the segments are not arc's in this version. I inserted the new block into a new drawing then moved to another elevation and inserted it again. Then I turned on my front and back clipping planes to obscure the other elevation form view. I generated a DWF for each elevation with the clipping planes on to hide the other elevation. In both cases the circle appears in the output. All entities were drawn on layer 0.

I attached a zip file with both the DWG and DWF files.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Objects appear on DWF files that should not appear, when using Clipping Planes

Quote Originally Posted by harryc
    <SNIP> All entities were drawn on layer 0.

I attached a zip file with both the DWG and DWF files.
    Hi

Without reviewing / viewing the attached files...

* Do you experience this issue / problem when Plotting directly to an output device ( Plotter ) ?

* What happens if you set-up appropriate Layers ie No drawing Objects on Layer 0 or Defpoints ?

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Objects appear on DWF files that should not appear, when using Clipping Planes

I moved the objects in the original block to another layer then inserted that block into a new drawing. I still had the same result. Of course blocks should be created on layer 0 so you don't have issues with what layer to turn on or off to see the block.

I also tried using the original block (with entities drawn on layer 0) then inserting it onto another layer in a new drawing (which is how we normally do it here) and still had the circle from the block appearing on different levels in the DWF file. This is not visable on screen in the DWG file used to create the DWF.

As mentioned in my original post the only time I've seen this before is in the print preview in AutoCAD but it doesn't appear on the plotted media. We are using HP1050c HPGL/2 print drivers. Some of our clients are using other drivers (I assume OCE drivers) and it does appear in their printed media.

I don't have this problem with PDF's created using a windows PostScript print driver.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Objects appear on DWF files that should not appear, when using Clipping Planes

Quote Originally Posted by harryc
    <SNIP>

As mentioned in my original post the only time I've seen this before is in the print preview in AutoCAD but it doesn't appear on the plotted media. We are using HP1050c HPGL/2 print drivers. Some of our clients are using other drivers (I assume OCE drivers) and it does appear in their printed media.

I don't have this problem with PDF's created using a windows PostScript print driver.
    Hi

It would appear the issue / problem relates to Plot Drivers and not the actual DWG files themselves.

Why? - The same DWG files output correct with some Plot Drivers, but not with others.

Regarding DWF output, have you tried Autodesk DWF Writer ?

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

DWF Writer fixes this issue and produces slightly smaller drawings. Must be loosing some data. The only issue I am having with DWF Writer is I can't seem to plot landscape. So, if I print a 30x42 sheet using DWF ePlot it orients correctly, using DWF Writer I get the plot rotated and fit to half the page (see attached DWF file). That is both before and after I modified the default to use 30x42 and selected landscape for the orientation. Then recreated the pc3 file to take these new settings.

Any suggestions to fix this glitch?
    ----
    I was using a version of DWF Writer that came on my CD from AU in Orlando. I found an updated version on AutoDesks site and it allows custom paper sizes which fixes the orientation issue. DWF Writer 3.1. Now I just have to get it installed across through out my office with the .msi I downloaded. That should only take a few minutes. Then edit my Batch Plotting program to use DWF Writer instead of DWF ePlot.

Thanks for the suggestion of DWF Writer.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by harryc; 2006-07-18 at 03:16 PM.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

This seems like an ongoing issue that they just fixed in 2016