See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Viewport with-in a Viewport

Heartland of the Mid-west, home of the Indy 500
    Login to Give a bone

Question Viewport with-in a Viewport

Okay, I have a single viewport (4 corners not locked) that will not let me turn it into a polygon viewport so I can draw it around the new one that I need. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I don't know for sure. So I tried to put a viewport with-in a viewport to view this one little part that needs to be blown-up. The viewport let me in, scaled it up, and moved around a little. But I had to get out and do something on paper space; when I tried to get back into that viewport, the one that's on the outside of it becomes active and I can't manipulate the one with-in it. I tried to maximize and minimize the viewports in module space, but I can't see the paper space stuff for a reference to move it so it doesn't help any.

Any help would be appreciated instead of me just spinning my wheels. (All puns intended) Thank you to however replies and a Very Merry Christmas and safe, but Happy New Year!!!

All AUGI, all the time Richard.Kent's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Viewport with-in a Viewport

Ctrl+R

and possibly move the viewport, do your work, move it back in place

Português - Programação Moderator Filipe Francisco's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.Kent View Post
    Ctrl+R

Great Tip

Cheers

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Viewport with-in a Viewport

Ctrl+R

Richard! You are the MAN! Thanks a bunch, they both worked perfect, but I need the VP to stay because of alignment with elevations. I did try it just to make sure it works for a future application. Ctrl+R is a great tip! Thanks a bunch. Hope the Holidays was great for you and Francisco. Happy New Year!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Ctrl+R

If there is any way you can get part of the inner viewport outside the main viewport then you can access it for editing without moving it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by keith.turner View Post
    If there is any way you can get part of the inner viewport outside the main viewport then you can access it for editing without moving it.
    The CTRL+R is much easier, you don't need to move the viewport to access it.
    You just activate any viewport and use CTRL+R to toggle through all active viewports (one at a time) and stop at the one you want, no need to move it if you don't want to.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    The CTRL+R is much easier, you don't need to move the viewport to access it.
    You just activate any viewport and use CTRL+R to toggle through all active viewports (one at a time) and stop at the one you want, no need to move it if you don't want to.
    Hi

I wanted to thank you for this tip.

I have been looking for a solution to my problem and you have solved it for me.

Thank you and have a good day.
    Last edited by gvincent; 2008-01-29 at 02:09 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Ctrl+R

Your welcome, ^^^ I can't take full credit ^^^^
    (Thanks Richard.Kent)

Quote Originally Posted by gvincent View Post
    Hi

I wanted to thank you for this tip.
    I have been looking for a solution to my problem and you have solved it for me.
    Thank you and have a good day.
    I just further explained it's use to help the OP (original poster) decide which method is best for them.

You have a good day too!

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Viewport with-in a Viewport

Quote Originally Posted by Openwheeler View Post
    Okay, I have a single viewport (4 corners not locked) that will not let me turn it into a polygon viewport so I can draw it around the new one that I need. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I don't know for sure. So I tried to put a viewport with-in a viewport to view this one little part that needs to be blown-up. The viewport let me in, scaled it up, and moved around a little. But I had to get out and do something on paper space; when I tried to get back into that viewport, the one that's on the outside of it becomes active and I can't manipulate the one with-in it. I tried to maximize and minimize the viewports in module space, but I can't see the paper space stuff for a reference to move it so it doesn't help any.

Any help would be appreciated instead of me just spinning my wheels. (All puns intended) Thank you to however replies and a Very Merry Christmas and safe, but Happy New Year!!!
    I was reading Lynn Allen's Blog and this person had suggested this for the F! key which I thought was a great ideal if you have the viewport situation that I had. Hope you enjoy this tip.

Paul reprogrammed the F1 key for his team to switch between Viewports. Let me explain:

Sometimes you have a viewport within a viewport..how do you get to it? With a Control+R. Control+R cycles you through from viewport to viewport until you get to the one that you want! He assigned the same functionality to F1 so all his users have to do is hit the F1 key to cycle through their viewports...Brilliant! Let's face it - it's not always easy to remember all those pesky control key combinations - but it is easy to remember to hit F1!