Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can a good Microstation user move smoothly to using AutoCAD

I could stop if I wanted to rhayes.99001's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Can a good Microstation user move smoothly to using AutoCAD

Is Microstation compatible with AutoCAD? I have an excellent potential candidate who is well versed on CAD Microstation but not AutoCAD. Is it worth pursuing him, learning curve too great?

I could stop if I wanted to dfarris75's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can a good Microstation user move smoothly to using AutoCAD

The learning curve is certainly not too great. The programs are similar in many respects (as far as operation goes and the gui is somewhat similar as well). I came fresh out of tech school where I learned Acad into a company that primarily used Microstation and I found it very easy to learn Microstation. I've bounced back and forth between the two quite a bit in my career and I enjoy using both programs, although I know much more about Acad than Microstation.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dfarris75
    The learning curve is certainly not too great. The programs are similar in many respects (as far as operation goes and the gui is somewhat similar as well). I came fresh out of tech school where I learned Acad into a company that primarily used Microstation and I found it very easy to learn Microstation. I've bounced back and forth between the two quite a bit in my career and I enjoy using both programs, although I know much more about Acad than Microstation.
    Corporate is talking about changing our program. I'm glad to know the learning curve won't totally bite.
    Give people a job worth doing, the tools to do it, recognition of a job well done & get out of the way.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rhayes.99001
    Is Microstation compatible with AutoCAD? I have an excellent potential candidate who is well versed on CAD Microstation but not AutoCAD. Is it worth pursuing him, learning curve too great?
    The key is that the basics are similar, so no, the learning curve won't be huge.. yes, there will be one, but its nothing that can't be handled.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rhayes.99001
    Initially he will hate acad because of all the small differences which will seem illogical.
    Hopefully, that will quickly pass.

Login to Give a bone

I was originally trained in Microstation, and now use solely AutoCAD. I found the transition quite easy, as I already knew all of the basics of AutoCAD, but, as others have pointed out, it will drive them mad for the first couple of weeks with different keys doing different things!
    At my last company, I used both AutoCAD and Microstation with no problems at all, so they are very compatible, and Microstation seems to mirror a lot of what AutoCAD does, so you will find that there will not be too many troubles in the person who is converting. You will probably also find that they will be able to teach you a lot of tips and tricks, as they will know how to do things in Microstation that you can't do in AutoCAD, which will help you find out how to do them.

Login to Give a bone

If u have Microstation 95 on board then its easy to learn vice-versa. I learned M.station in my previous co. thru the help from M95. There is a help to compare commands in ACAD & Micro. that doesn't exists in the newer versions of Microstation I belive.

I could stop if I wanted to lmitsou's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We have a guy in the company who never worked with AutoCAD before. He was using Microstation. He recently took a three days beginners course in AutoCAD 2007 Essentials and he is flying now. So my answer to your question, from my experience anyway, would be definitely yes.

Login to Give a bone

Actually, my experience shows that users switching from Mircostation to AutoCAD have less difficulty than going from AutoCAD to Microstation.

This depends on the version as well, Microstation V8 or V8 XM users will probably find it to be easier to switch to AutoCAD than Microstation V7 or J users.

Login to Give a bone

We use both Microstation and AutoCad and as much as I personally dislike Microstation, you can flit between the two with relatively little effort. Understanding any vector based package will be an advantage to moving over to AutoCad and will set the learning curve to "steep" (ie, "gain elevation quickly", not "lots of work").

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast