Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creating a schedule from linked RVT files

Login to Give a bone

Default Creating a schedule from linked RVT files

I am in the midst of setting up a large project in Revit 9. Currently, I have two shell & core files, seven individual floor files, and one composite file where all the files are linked in. I think I have all the logistics figured out in terms of how modelling and printing will function. That is, except one thing: scheduling.

I understand that in version 9, you can export schedules as templates. How do i go about creating one composite door schedule, for instance, from all of the linked files? I tried it once and managed to crash the program. Should I export one template, then import it in every file, then import it in the composite file and select "Include all linked objects"?

If anyone has ever attempted this, please let me know the best way to go about doing it. As in all cases, I'd rather not have to 'fudge' it in the end. Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating a schedule from linked RVT files

It looks like if I create a template schedule that includes shared parameters, i can import this template into each file. Then when i create the composite schedule, it should work smoothly as long as I don't try to add any new parameters to the linked schedules once I've created it. Still, if there are any suggestions, don't hesitate.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I don't think schedules form Linked files carry over... so I would guess that you can't schedule items in linked files either (unlike ADT which is, I'm guess, what you're used to).

The way you describe your project setup is counter to the way that Revit "would like you to work."

The "preferred" methodology is to keep everything pertaining to a building in the same file and to use Worksets and Worksharing to enable more than one person to work on the model. The only time that it is generally suggested that multiple files be used is when you have multiple buildings on the same site (say as part of a campus plan).

Login to Give a bone

You can schedule across linked files. You shouldn't worry about creating individual schedules in each file....just create them in the host file (where all separate projects are linked together).

I could stop if I wanted to nsinha73's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

How can I create Door Schedules in Host file. Revit Help system is not very clear on this....
    Thanks dude!!

I could stop if I wanted to kpaxton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

OK - first off.. this post is almost over 10 months old....
    Now, to answer your question.... From the help file.....
    "You can include elements from linked models in schedules of model elements (such as doors, rooms, and walls) and in drawing lists. They are not supported for note blocks, view lists, or key schedules.

All fields that are available for elements in the host project are available for elements in linked models. The behavior of some fields changes when you add elements from linked models to a schedule. For example, the Family, Type, Family and Type, Level, and Material parameters become read-only for elements in both the host and linked model. You also cannot filter a schedule by the Family, Type, Family and Type, Level, and Material parameters.

To include elements from linked models in a schedule:

1. In the Project Browser, right-click the schedule name, and select Properties.
    2. In the Element Properties dialog, for Fields, click Edit.
    3. Select the Include elements in linked files option.
    4. To include project information from a linked model, for Select Available Fields From, select Project Information. Add the desired fields from the Available Fields list to the Scheduled Fields list.
    5. To include the linked model instance name or the file name, select RVT Links in the Select Available Fields From list. Add the desired fields from the Available Fields list to the Scheduled Fields list. NOTE:The file name does not include the file path or the file extension. In addition, if there are visible nested links in a linked model, the file name that displays for elements in the nested link is the parent link.
    6. Click OK.
    Hope this helps....

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Since the thread is reanimated, im LOVING the new functionality of having a Field for Linked File name and instance...

That way i can break up a door schedule by building, etc. I just played around with it today, its great!

Login to Give a bone

<snip>

To include elements from linked models in a schedule:

1 In the Project Browser, right-click the schedule name, and select Properties.
    2 In the Element Properties dialog, for Fields, click Edit.
    3 Select the Include elements in linked files option.
    4 To include project information from a linked model, for Select Available Fields From, select Project Information. Add the desired fields from the Available Fields list to the Scheduled Fields list.
    5 To include the linked model instance name or the file name, select RVT Links in the Select Available Fields From list. Add the desired fields from the Available Fields list to the Scheduled Fields list. NOTE:The file name does not include the file path or the file extension. In addition, if there are visible nested links in a linked model, the file name that displays for elements in the nested link is the parent link.
    <snip>

I tried your procedure, but the schedule was empty (and yes I had linked in 2 "child" RVT projects). In step 1, when you say right-click the schedule name, does it matter what category of objects the schedule is scheduling?

Thnks

Login to Give a bone

Not sure I understand your question....of course it matters I mean, if you're trying to schedule doors and your schedule is set to windows, you're not going to get the desired report.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Dave
    all I want to do is to create a schedule that lists the filenames of linked RVT files.

I have forgotten how it is done, I just need to be "reminded" of the correct procedure. (my doctor calls it "early alzheimers").

thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast