Thread: Revisions and Keyed notes

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revisions and Keyed notes

I am missing something and need an extra pair of "eyes".

I am creating some addendum sheets.

When I create the small view my keyed notes renumber depending on the keyed notes visible within that view. On the full size sheet I am modifying KN 10, but on the addendum it becomes KN 1.

How do I get it to show the same KN# that it coresponds to on the full size sheet?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revisions and Keyed notes

Quote Originally Posted by Jrobker View Post
    I am missing something and need an extra pair of "eyes".

I am creating some addendum sheets.

When I create the small view my keyed notes renumber depending on the keyed notes visible within that view. On the full size sheet I am modifying KN 10, but on the addendum it becomes KN 1.

How do I get it to show the same KN# that it coresponds to on the full size sheet?
    I create my revision views as duplicate dependants, crop regions are one thing that aren't dependant so you can make smaller views while keeping annotation coordinated. I can't test it right now but would that fix the problem?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tys90 View Post
    I create my revision views as duplicate dependants, crop regions are one thing that aren't dependant so you can make smaller views while keeping annotation coordinated. I can't test it right now but would that fix the problem?
    That doesn't work.
    I have my keyed notes numbered by sheet and filtered by sheet.

Anytime I create a new view dependent or not it renumbers the KN's.

I just got off the phone with our reseller. He said I have to freeze the model (subscription pack) which exports the model to a DWG than imports it as detail lines. I than have to make the changes to that view with generic tags and detail lines.

Wow!

this just goes to show how much testing was done, and how no one on the development team has any idea how this program should work in the real world.

Maybe it's the fact, if we're using Revit there should be no need to make revisions, right. I mean it should go out the door perfect.

Any other ideas?

Login to Give a bone

We are encountering this same issue now as well. Any solutions / workarounds yet? The freezing drawings solution is less than ideal for a couple reasons. Once frozen, you can't crop the resulting drafting view down to just one small area. Exploding the frozen block screws up all of the line styles.

Keynote numbering system seems to present a Catch 22. Numbering by sheet ensures that your keynote list for each sheet is sequential without skipped numbers (1,2,3,4,5,etc) but doesn't allow you to put a duplicate or callout view onto a different sheet while keeping the original keynote numbers.

Numbering keynotes by project would keep the same keynotes in a callout or duplicate view on a different sheet, but then your keynote list will read 1, 4, 13, 14, 67, 94 if you still filter it by sheet.

I think this would be a much better workflow that could solve this problem is implemented by the Factory:

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

What I had to do was add the keyed note on the parent view and to populate the text. What you would do anyway.
    On the dependant view (Addendum) I hide the keyed note and add a generic (text) keyed note.
    I just use text.

8 months back I was at a kick off meeting and I had mentioned this issue to a trainer. She told me that there was a way to do this and she would get back with me. She never returned my calls and I never received an answer.
    If anyone knows a way to do this (assuming there is) W/O using generic text I would like to know.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

What you see is what you get. You've all pretty well figured out the issue with keyed notes. It is simply the nature of the beast. Revit Keynotes assume that it is the actual note that is important and not the position of the note in the legend. If the position of the note in the legend is important, as it is for most firms (because that's the way we've always done it), then you ought to make a generic tag and start keynoting like you do in AutoCAD.

If Autodesk were to address this issue, I think they would have to implement something like Dependent Sheets. That way you could issue sketch revisions and addenda according to industry standard.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks guys. We ended up using a workaround similar to what you described, Jeremiah. We duplicated the view with detailing, cropped it down to just the revised area, and placed a text note with opaque background that showed the "correct" keynote number.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

This is the exact reason we use generic annotations with note block schedules for keynotes instead. It takes a little more work upfront to set up your filtering method, but they don't change numbers on you. You also can place them anywhere since they don't have to be associated with an object in Revit. And finally you have the nice capability to see all keynotes on all drawings through a master schedule.

Maybe someday they'll fix keynotes so they work properly, but right now they're more trouble than they're worth. Same with dependant views IMHO.
    Last edited by mabrey; 2010-04-02 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

We do something similar, but we use a legend so that one change to the master Keynote list is made to all sheets.

Login to Give a bone

How do you add more fields to a Keynote legend? How do you Create a Keynote schedule that will work with keynote tags?