Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fatal Error: Out of Memory Shutting Down

0 Did you find this post helpful? Yes

Default Fatal Error: Out of Memory Shutting Down

Three people in our CAD Department receive this error "Fatal Error: Out of Memory Shutting Down" Their computers are identical with other drafters who do not receive the error. They're working with XP SP2, 1GB RAM, 3.2 GHz processors. I tried increasing virtual memory, deleting tempory files (i seen that in another forum), windows updates, ACAD updates. I believe it is only with certain drawings. Does anyone have a solution? If you need more information, let me know.

Thanks.

Default Re: Fatal Error: Out of Memory Shutting Down

ive gotten a couple of those, and generally can fix them by shutting everything down and rebooting. when you open the drawing, audit and purge it, and any xrefs in it. if those dont work im sure someone else here will have an option.

100 Club

Evan,

Have you tried searching thought Autodesk website under Discussion Group (www.autodesk.com) the might be something on there that can help you.
    What version of AutoCAD are you using? I have noticed people who have been using AutoCAD Map have had some similar problems when printing.

Otherwise i would agree with chad and you need to reboot then purge and audit.

You could be running to many applications at the same time, but i dont think it could be that.

Hope you can find out what the problem is.

Gareth
    Last edited by Spenner; 2006-08-08 at 02:20 PM. Reason: missed off some information
    Gareth Spener
    AEC Application Engineer
    Revit Structure/MEP, AutoCAD, ASD, User
    Twitter: @Garethcadline
    Blog: http://becadsmart.blogspot.co.uk/
    About.me: http://about.me/gareth.spencer

They're running Autodesk LandDesktop 2005. There are certain drawings that generate the error and they cannot be opened. They get about 75% complete, then the error pops up. Any suggestions on how to get them open? I read that if you hit Esc before it crashes, that should allow the drawing to be opened. But I'm waiting to hear if the auditing and purging worked.

Thanks for the posts fellas.

I could stop if I wanted to

Lightbulb Re: Fatal Error: Out of Memory Shutting Down

about the error for running out of memory - the the memory usage of the time of the error, or check the peak memory usage in the taskmanager.

I have the same thing with one of my guys - big drawing crashes after a time of working, but the drawing eats away close to 2Gb of memory and XP shuts down by that.
    If this is the case with you set the famous 3GB switch in the boot.ini file - you can find lots of detailed info about this on the internet / Augi and Autodesk websites.
    Other otion is to use memory "defrag" tools like mem turbo or mem maker to save on memory.
    Off course rebooting the computer after a while - when the 2 gb is being approached - is another option

I could stop if I wanted to dfarris75's Avatar

Have them try to open the drawings thru Land Enabled Map rather than Land Desktop.

100 Club

Has the ServicePack for LandDesktop 2005 been installed? I know this affected AutoCAD 2005 and was corrected with a service pack, the machines it happened to were somewhat random.

Quote Originally Posted by evan.haun
    They're running Autodesk LandDesktop 2005. <SNIP>
    Hi

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD General forum to this one, as I believe it will be better served here.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

I could stop if I wanted to 09silverado's Avatar

drawing related or does this happen on all drawings.

we get this weird stuff all the time and usually it's a wicked screwed up old skool drawing or something with more errors in it than it's worth trying to fix.

if you can't recover the drawing through drawing utilities, the drawing is probably junk. That is an old skool problem that used to happen in 2000 all the time when drawings crashed, they would fatal error out with some random memory problem and you were screwed when you hit yes to the "do you want to save changes" error dialogue box. If you hit yes when that error came up.... drawing=junk.

maybe you have an autosave or bak file you can rename and try to open?

also, make sure you apply the right service packs, i have tons of problems with pc's after i accidentallly applied the wrong service pack to a pc.

you could try and save the cad profile and cui then re-install CAD to see if that fixes the issue.

I'd say it's a drawing specific problem though.

is it even possible to open the drawing and do ANYTHING before it errors out?
    Thank you kindly
    Lead Landscape Architect & CAD Manager
    R14 - C3D 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/user/butzers03xtreme I drive a Silverado, its loud and I like it

It is drawing specific. Other people in CAD are abel to open the drawing no problem though. I do believe the service pack has been installed. And I havent gotten word whether or not it opened in Land Enabled Map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast