Thread: Migrating preferences/settings from computer to computer

Login to Give a bone

Default Migrating preferences/settings from computer to computer

Hello-

I was wondering if anybody has a neat and clean way of keeping all your settings? My problem is this. I want to upgrade to the new releases when they come out and take advantage of the new tools, but I do not know th best way to do this. Should I delete 2006 and then install 2007? If I do that, then all my settings are lost, and I have to redo them for the new 2007. Is there anything out there that can help? If so, then can it also then be transfered from computer to computer. My other problem is that my desktop station has all my setting that I like. When I take my laptop into the field, I do not have all the same setting because I do not know how to keep them updated of each other. I see there is menus under CAD manger? AEC Project standards and AutoCAD CAD Standards. Are these any options that I should look into further? If anybody has questions for me to clarify please let me know. Any help would be great.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Paul

I could stop if I wanted to dfarris75's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Migrating preferences/settings from computer to computer

When you install 07 I believe it prompts you to migrate settings from the previous release. You can export your customization files from one machine and import them into another fairly easily. If on a network you can set customization files to a location on the network for easy sharing.

Login to Give a bone

It does ask me to migrate the settings. I think it works fine. Here is the problem I ran into though. I upgraded on my laptop to test the waters and still be able to work on the desktop wich is set up perfect. I installed 2007, went through the steps. I then deleted 2006, then went to work on 2007, things do not work properly now. 2006 & 2007 have files that they share, and when I delete 2006 then 2007 no longer works properly. When I delete 2006 first, then I lose all my settings...

I am on a network, so I can have a set place for the settings to be, but how do I get th settings there. Are the AEC Preject Standards and AutoCAD CAD Standard options worth looking into more, and is there any advice on how to learn about them?

Thanks for the help

I could stop if I wanted to dfarris75's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If I were you I would be inclined to leave '06 installed along with the '07 installation.

You might want to read up on creating an Enterprise CUI for the network.
    Alternatively you can export your CUI files and Tool Palettes and such to either a network drive or to a flash drive perhaps. Then you can import those files into your other computer. Consult the help file for the steps of how to do this. It's in there. If you have a hard time interpreting the help file just reply here and I (or someone else) will walk you through it.

Login to Give a bone

Ok- Thanks, I will give all that a try and then come back if I do have some trouble.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Kudos on keeping a copy of 2006 on the drive. I ran into an issue where I cannot get
    an igesout while running vanilla 2007. I have to launch 2006 in order to get an igesout.

Autodesk should not have changed the igesout functionality.
    I have yet to stumble on other changes.

Login to Give a bone

""Uninstalling of Architectural Desktop 2006 after Architectural Desktop 2007 has been installed will cause problems with tools and project behavior in the remaining Architectural Desktop 2007 installation. Running a Repair Registry will restore the proper functionality of Architectural Desktop 2007.""

The above quote is from the ADT 2007 read me files under installation...I suppose it would apply to all the 2007 software?.....

Hope this helps....ph