See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: stb dwgs lineweight control in revit

Login to Give a bone

Default stb dwgs lineweight control in revit

Admittedly I am being very lazy here... I did a search and turned up little to no info...

working with an architect that uses stb plot style in acad so there is no direct mapping of color of layer to line width used for layer.

would like to use some drawing as backgrounds and have them plot correctly....

other than going through each layer in every linked file and assigning it the proper revit line weight is there a more efficient way to do this as the import settings are set by color and are pointless for these stb based dwgs....

thanks

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: stb dwgs lineweight control in revit

Nope, no support for STB's...perhaps you could convert the dwg file to use CTB's or as you say, assign the lineweight to each layer...

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by D_Driver
    other than going through each layer in every linked file and assigning it the proper revit line weight is there a more efficient way to do this ....
    Steve is right but I have a pretty good work-around that saves lots of time. We use STB plotting as well and though this is not perfect, it is a pretty elegant solution given the alternative.

In AutoCAD, open your active DWS file. SAVEAS a new DWS file (I called mine Revit Standard - no points for originality). Sort by Plotstyle. Assign one color to each plotstyle (or several colors as long as you do not duplicate colors). Save and close. Then, create the Import file for these colors in Revit (the one I made resides in the network). Finally, you can open the drawing before linking, run the standards checker (set to automatically fix non-standard properties) and everything is fixed in a few seconds. It all happens before you link into Revit so you need not bother with each line. Takes less than half an hour up front to create the file and saves a whole bunch of effort down the road.

I used this method to make our AutoCAD drawings "match" the Revit look in other ways. Until we get some of our details updated, I was able to make dimensions, text and linetypes from AutoCAD look nearly identical to Revit. We have an INSULTXT text style made with A's that makes a mess when linked into Revit. We also used an alternate linetype for insulation that looked like a straight line in Revit. Using a DWS file at least helped us switch this stuff to something we could identify and correct in Revit. Also helps find things created by CAD Cowboys (not, of course, that you might have that problem).

Where there is a will, there is a way. Most of the time. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by phyllisr; 2006-08-14 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Typo

Login to Give a bone

I was waist deep in creating my own dws for this purpose when I thought to check up here again to see if anyone had words of wisdom - and lo and behold!

great minds think alike
    feable minds seldom differ

I chose the first...
    thanks ya'll