Thread: Imported revit item does'nt look the same

Login to Give a bone

Default Imported revit item does'nt look the same

I am working with a multi building project, so I set up both buildings in different projects and imported them into a master project. However when I import them their appearance doesn't match their original. On the building a project I have set up all my grid lines w/ dimensions but when I open the overall project the grids don't match and there are no dimensions. Help on this would be great since the project is due out in a few weeks and this is bogging me down.

Thanks

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Imported revit item does'nt look the same

We are doing a project with four buildings on a complicated river-front site (5 RVT files) and have had no problem. But then, we are really creating separate projects for issuance and the site is just a "container" to view the whole thing in context. We never intended the separate buildings to appear in a bid set together. Were this our intent, we might have built the project separately but would have scheduled and dimensioned everything in the "master." Even at that, we would have to have a compelling reason to do it.

Annotation is not supposed to display in linked file so you are out of luck with the dimensions. Clip from the help menu attached. Sorry. You might be able to copy-paste the dimensions from the separate files to the master but I have found doing this for any reason more trouble that it's worth.

Are your coordinates shared correctly for all the linked files? Are they derived from only one file? That might be your alignment problem but it's a guess.

Not much of an answer but without seeing your project (I am aware it is likely way too large to post), it's the best I can do. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

With Revit Building 9 you are actually able to display plan views in linked files in virtually the same format as the view that you set up in the project file itself. To do so you must override the default visibility graphic overrides for each view you want to do this in. Take a look at the new features regarding linked file visibility.

For example you can set up a view in your master site project to do a comprehensive code study document that takes into account the exiting for all buildings and displays information for each. Just set up a dedicated view in each building project file that has everything you want to see and formatted accordingly. It can take a little effort to pull off but the results can be pretty satisfying. I attached an image of a little mockup I did to discuss the feature recently.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2006-08-16 at 04:45 AM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    With Revit Building 9 you are actually able to display plan views in linked files in virtually the same format as the view that you set up in the project file itself. To do so you must override the default visibility graphic overrides for each view you want to do this in.
    When I tried this earlier after seeing this in the New Features section, I had trouble making it work. Since it was not front burner, I set it aside. But since you posted this...

I tried the override approach to get the dimensions to display and was unable to do so. This image is from a project with the structural model linked. I tried setting a view to see the structural dimensions (image attached) and was not able to make this work. Without spending a bunch of my own time experimenting, might there be a simple step I am missing? Perhaps an "order" for doing this or something else entirely? Not critical at this time and if it's a big deal to figure out without the model, never mind...

Thanks.
    Last edited by phyllisr; 2006-08-16 at 02:39 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I am not real sure if I went about it the right way, but after a lot of experimenting w/ different options I got it to work and my linked file looked exactly like my model. I went to vis. graphics, Revit links and linked by view. I don't know if this helps or if you already new about this.

Thanks for the help. This site has been great. I am learning Revit on my own and this has been a life saver.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by phyllisr
    ...I tried the override approach to get the dimensions to display and was unable to do so...
    The Automatic Sketch Dimensions you point to will not appear in a project environment. They are part of families.

In order to have dimensions appear in a host view you must specify the view you want to display. To do this you must select it from the BASICS tab > Linked View drop down list box. Be sure to watch out for phases. This is the typical cause for rooms and their tags or color fill to not show up in a linked file.