See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inter Office Dynamic Block Sharing and the use of Tool Palettes

I could stop if I wanted to sschwartz85916's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Inter Office Dynamic Block Sharing and the use of Tool Palettes

How do you share your dynamic blocks?? (I am sure I have seen this question before, but I wanted to post MY way).
    1. All Dynamic Blocks are contained in one single file for me to use. These can always be wblocked out, and I keep adding more to the library as I go, so for now, it is easier for me to keep them in one place.
    2. I drag and drop the Dyblocks to a named tool palette and assign layers, scales, etc.
    3. When the entire library has been compiled and the tool palettes are done, I hover over the the tool palette and click customize. Then, I export each tool palette to the same folder as the drawings are.
    4. This is the easy part. I go to someone elses puter, and import each toolbar. Thats it! I believe the toolbars are not "dynamic" in the way that if an addition is made to the actual tool palette, I need to re-import them per machine.

Any helpful suggestions? This is an easy way for me, so far. The tool palettes are just... vonderbar! Since all of the Dyblocks are looking at the same drawing file, I can make updates/addition/improvements to a block already there and the toolbars should look to the same blocks they were assigned. (Of course, as long as the block hasn't been inserted yet... )
    Last edited by sschwartz; 2006-08-29 at 02:09 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Inter Office Dynamic Block Sharing and the use of Tool Palettes

the few blocks we are currently using are combined in one file, and updated there. i created a tool palette with them, and then published the palette using the content browser to a central location so its accessible to anyone, and updates automagically when the master file is updated.

once a block is in a drawing, i believe syncing from within the battman command will update the existing blocks.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_C
    once a block is in a drawing, i believe syncing from within the battman command will update the existing blocks.
    Oh yea. hehe I didn't think of that... I will give it a try.
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2006-08-30 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Fix [QUOTE] tags.

Login to Give a bone

the only problem i have found with having block library 'drawings', is that it is almost tooooo easy to let someone mess up the master. unless the folder is read-only to everyone but you...... ok, for example, go to one of your tool buttons that pulls a block from one of these collection files. right click on the button, and take a good look at the option that says Block Editor.....
    ~plugs ears for expected screams of horror~
    This is why i like individual dwg files placed individually in a simple network folder.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sschwartz
    How do you share your dynamic blocks?? (I am sure I have seen this question before, but I wanted to post MY way).

1. All Dynamic Blocks are contained in one single file for me to use. These can always be wblocked out, and I keep adding more to the library as I go, so for now, it is easier for me to keep them in one place.
    2. I drag and drop the Dyblocks to a named tool palette and assign layers, scales, etc.
    3. When the entire library has been compiled and the tool palettes are done, I hover over the the tool palette and click customize. Then, I export each tool palette to the same folder as the drawings are.
    4. This is the easy part. I go to someone elses puter, and import each toolbar. Thats it! I believe the toolbars are not "dynamic" in the way that if an addition is made to the actual tool palette, I need to re-import them per machine.
    Any helpful suggestions? This is an easy way for me, so far. The tool palettes are just... vonderbar! Since all of the Dyblocks are looking at the same drawing file, I can make updates/addition/improvements to a block already there and the toolbars should look to the same blocks they were assigned. (Of course, as long as the block hasn't been inserted yet... )
    In our office, we have a network file that is designated as a Dynamic BLock FOlder. I store all of my approved DBs there. It is set to read-only and it has been protected so no one can access it but me and the CAD Manager.

I keep copies of all my DBs (the master files) in another drive on my PC and have THAT folder password protected. Only I know that password.

All of the DBs are accessed via DesignCentre. Mostly because the people here don't know (and don't want to really learn how to use) aboutTool Palettes. A shame, really. But it is just as good and only takes a few more seconds per block.

I guess if it ain't broke .....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    All of the DBs are accessed via DesignCentre. Mostly because the people here don't know (and don't want to really learn how to use) aboutTool Palettes. A shame, really. But it is just as good and only takes a few more seconds per block.
    do blocks automatically come in at scale from the design center? i have my tool palettes set up so the block comes in at whatever my current dimscale is set to. it seems to be a good way to set it up, as long as the user keeps the dimscale set correctly for the drawing.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_C
    do blocks automatically come in at scale from the design center? i have my tool palettes set up so the block comes in at whatever my current dimscale is set to. it seems to be a good way to set it up, as long as the user keeps the dimscale set correctly for the drawing.
    As far as I know, it comes in at whatever scale you draw it to (1:1 generally speaking) from there, you need to scale it up, if required. DC is definitely not as customizable as TPs (Tool Palettes) - I think DC was created with regular blocks in mind while TPs work better with DBs.
    I know you can modify the scales and insert units of designcentre stuff, though, so maybe that's an answer to your question?

I know someone posted the commands to access those options earlier ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

I do know you can right click somewhere... (or something) and create a whole tool palette from the dc window. It will pretty much use the whole folder. DC is a good tool, but unfortunately, I am pretty sure my cohorts don't use dc or tp. (thats tool palettes )

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sschwartz
    I am pretty sure my cohorts don't use dc or tp. (thats tool palettes )
    are we 100% sure about it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Sounds to me like you all are doing things the hard way. Just kidding!

This is how we do it at my company...

Create a tool palette in your session of AutoCAD, which it sounds like you have done already.
    After you compile your palettes go to the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\User_Name\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2006\R16.2\enu\Support\ToolPalette\Palettes

In this folder you will see the palettes that you created. Copy the new tool palettes you created to your desired write protected folder.

After you paste the new palettes into your write protected folder go to your tools/options dialog box in AutoCAD.

Go to the Files tab above.

Scroll down to “Tool Palettes File Locations”.

Add…

Browse… to your write protected folder location

Click Apply.

(I prefer to have this new line on the bottom of the list. It loads in this order.)

Once you’ve done that you will have the palettes loaded on your machine reading from the protected folder.

(You would add the same path for everyone’s machine.)

Then go to your tool palette and you’ll see that they are all available to you.

You’ll also notice that there is a little lock icon in the bottom corner of your loaded palettes which tells you that the other users can’t manipulate them.

All your editing should be done in your master file and that will update on all your users palettes instantly. (Or after they restart there session of AutoCAD)

Hope this is specific enough and I hope it helps.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast