Thread: Areas and Spaces - Add Selected

Login to Give a bone

Default Areas and Spaces - Add Selected

In previous versions of ADT I created some area squares that I named Living, Garage, etc. I put them all in my startup drawing so when I calculated the areas of the house, I would highlight an area, right-click and choose add selected. Then draw the area in polyline mode. That would in turn add it to my Area Schedule. Now in ADT2007 when I right-click and add selected it defaults to insert. I have to go into the properties pallette and change it to polyline each time. I fixed it somehow by accident, but then a couple of months ago i had to reinstall ADT2007. And now I can't figure out what I did. Would love for it to default to polyline again. Any ideas?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Areas and Spaces - Add Selected

Quote Originally Posted by jabcad
    In previous versions of ADT I created some area squares that I named Living, Garage, etc. I put them all in my startup drawing so when I calculated the areas of the house, I would highlight an area, right-click and choose add selected. Then draw the area in polyline mode. That would in turn add it to my Area Schedule. Now in ADT2007 when I right-click and add selected it defaults to insert. I have to go into the properties pallette and change it to polyline each time. I fixed it somehow by accident, but then a couple of months ago i had to reinstall ADT2007. And now I can't figure out what I did. Would love for it to default to polyline again. Any ideas?
    Start the space add command by selecting one of you spaces, right-clicking and choosing Add Selected [or, type SPACEADD at the Command: prompt, if you still have one of those].

OPTION 1:
    Look at the Command: line [if you have it] and note the CReate type option. Type CR, then type P [for polygon] and add your space.

OPTION 2:
    Before picking any point in the drawing, go to the Properties palette. In the Basic category, General subcategory, note the "Create type" property, with the blue "snowflake/asterisk" in front. The "snowflake/asterisk" indicates that this property is only available at the time of object creation. Set this to Polygon [other choices are Insert or Rectangle, same as for Option 1].

Polygon should now be the default method of adding spaces on that computer, for that user/profile. Note that if you use tool palettes as a way of creating spaces of a particular style [which does not appear to be part of your workflow, but you may want to consider it, as it could allow you to cut down on the overhead in your template file], you can specify the "Create type" in the tool's properties. Tools have the same three options noted above [Insert, Polygon and Rectangle] along with a fourth, "--". "--" will use the current default method; any of the other three will use that method WITHOUT resetting the default method.

Login to Give a bone

I tried Option 2 (which is what I have been using) but, it still will not default to polyline. I have to use that choice each time I Add Selected. I will look into your suggestion. Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jabcad
    I tried Option 2 (which is what I have been using) but, it still will not default to polyline. I have to use that choice each time I Add Selected. I will look into your suggestion. Thanks!
    Curious. It worked for me [at home, standalone version, no networking, with me as an administrator on the computer], but perhaps there is some difference in the way my computer is set up and ADT is installed. That is not an option in ADT 2004, so I can not test it here at work.