Thread: Attribute redefine.

Login to Give a bone

Default Attribute redefine.

I had been working quite happily on a project and produced a number of B1 size drawings when an order from on high specified that only A1 or A0 size drawings were to be used.

No problem I thought, I'll just redefine the title sheet block using "attredef" command rather than just redefine the block as the project name and drawing number etc. were editable attributes, so far so good.

Inserted the block in model space making careful note of the insertion point, exploded the said block and adjusted the boarders for A0 repositioned the title block and used "attredef" to redefine the block.

Now the problems started, back in paper space, on sheet one there was now two title blocks one over the top of the other and the remaining sheets had the new borders but the attributes were in the original location,

So what on the face of it appeared to be a bit of an inconvenience turned in to a bit of a chore having to reinsert the title blocks for the whole job, I did use copy/paste once I had entered the project info but each sheet title and number had to entered individually.

So what did I do wrong?

By the way I'm using Mech Desktop 2006

Any help for future reference will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Don Smith.

PS: An entry on the wish list for future versions, up date the "attredef" command to use dialogue box for block selection.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Attribute redefine.

It sounds like you are facing an issue we see here. When you redefine the attributes on a block and reinsert the block, you have to purge the [original] block from the drawing or it retains that information and defaults to it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.dennin
    It sounds like you are facing an issue we see here. When you redefine the attributes on a block and reinsert the block, you have to purge the [original] block from the drawing or it retains that information and defaults to it.
    use the SYNC feature of BATTMAN and your blocks should correct themselves without purging.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_C
    use the SYNC feature of BATTMAN and your blocks should correct themselves without purging.
    BATTMAN will work fine, but be sure you do not rename any of the attributes or you will loss the information contain in those attributes..

Login to Give a bone

in the future, i'd set up your SSM template file to have multiple layouts for your sheet size options. this way you have (if set up) : multiple border sheets already loaded in case the size changes, and preset page setups that you can select to update the layout.
    i've got mine set up this way, and has been relatively painless to update the sheet sizes. you can purge the extras out when the project is finalized....
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Thanks one and all for your help, I'd never come across BATTMAN before and seams to solve the problems, I've been using AUTOCAD more years than I care to remember and still learn something new almost every day.

Thanks again

Don Smith