See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Family Sweep of profile has mind of it's own

I could stop if I wanted to Damo's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Family Sweep profile has mind of it's own

I have created a coping profile that sweeps along the top of a wall, 'L' shaped in plan.

At a slightly lower level (265mm - 11"), I have an existing wall that hits the first wall perpendicularly, near the end.

Placing a coping profile on this lower wall goes well, until I ‘Finish Family’, then it pops up to the level of the first coping.

Profile sweep position is correct, and even when I click 'Finish Sweep' everything looks OK. It’s only at ‘Finish Family’ stage that it goes pear shaped.

Trying the ALIGN tool and moving the coping down doesn’t work.

Any thoughts on how to move it down, (to lock the profile ?)

Damian
    Last edited by Damo; 2004-06-15 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Typo

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Family Sweep of profile has mind of it's own

Instead of doing this using an in-place family have you tried using a wall sweep? Would make it easier to control. Or you could even create a wall type with the profile included so it always shows the coping at the top of these types of walls?
    Chris Price
    Co-Founder/BIM Manager/Product Designer
    Xrev Pty Ltd

Revit Rants BLOG

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Family Sweep of profile has mind of it's own

I agree with Mr Spot on host sweeps or even better attaching to a wall style.
    But if you insist on using In Place Family, double check before "sketch path" the correct "work plane" is defined. If you are using a loaded profile just check the properties that there are no flips or offsets, assigned.
    Shaun van Rooyen
    Cadplan JHB
    Authorised Autodesk Systems Centre
    South Africa

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spot
    Instead of doing this using an in-place family have you tried using a wall sweep? Would make it easier to control. Or you could even create a wall type with the profile included so it always shows the coping at the top of these types of walls?
    I’m on a steep learning curve at the moment, was shown the in-place family sweep technique just last week, so I’ll have to delve into the help and examine wall sweeps. Incorporating it as a wall type looks good too, but I’ll need to check any secondary implications, eg: what happens with different height walls or other potential hidden side-effects. Bit of studying ahead, but thanks for your pointers.

BTW, and OT. If you joined AUGI in May, after me, how come you’ve got more of those green squares things than I do? I don’t know what they are for, but if you have them then I want them too. Who gives them out?

I’m going to start a campaign for equal distribution of the green square thingies.

“GREEN SQUARES FOR ALL”

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunV
    I agree with Mr Spot on host sweeps or even better attaching to a wall style.
    But if you insist on using In Place Family, double check before "sketch path" the correct "work plane" is defined. If you are using a loaded profile just check the properties that there are no flips or offsets, assigned.
    Shaun, I've double checked (see attached) and I cannot see what the problem is here.

BTW, do you want to join my campaign for equal Green Squares for all? I see you could do with some. (see above)

Login to Give a bone

Just to close this post off.

I discovered the reason the coping was hovering above the wall was because a sketch was applied. The wall was originally higher. Amending the sketch allowed the coping to sit on the wall correctly.

Thanks to all who jumped in with help.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Damo
    I’m on a steep learning curve at the moment, was shown the in-place family sweep technique just last week, so I’ll have to delve into the help and examine wall sweeps. Incorporating it as a wall type looks good too, but I’ll need to check any secondary implications, eg: what happens with different height walls or other potential hidden side-effects. Bit of studying ahead, but thanks for your pointers.

BTW, and OT. If you joined AUGI in May, after me, how come you’ve got more of those green squares things than I do? I don’t know what they are for, but if you have them then I want them too. Who gives them out?

I’m going to start a campaign for equal distribution of the green square thingies.

“GREEN SQUARES FOR ALL”
    You've got green squares now Damo!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by adegnan
    You've got green squares now Damo!
    I'm sure I had 6 yesterday and 5 this morning. Now I can find only 3!

I think 1 fell out of my pocket and I know there is one down the back of the couch.

I must be more careful with those green squares, they are hard to come by you know.