Thread: Dynamic Array

ACAD Wish List Administration

Default Dynamic Array

Summary: The ability to array elements dynamically by moving the cursor.

Description: I would like to multiply or array elements by moving the cursor on the screen. As I move the cursor, I can already see my arrayed elements moving to the right destination.

How Used: It is far more easier than by using the existing array toolbox. This does not give you control.

Feature Affinity: Drawing Tools 2D

Submitted By: jochen eggert on August 8, 2006

Default Re: Dynamic Array

Just a thought - positioning anything by pointing does not give accuracy unless you use snaps/osnaps.

Thumbs up Re: Dynamic Array

Right, the snaps/osnaps function should be used in this case, as always by drawing precisely

You can also use the "preview" option in the current array dialogue to see that your array is the way you want it to be.

If you want to array along a line; look into the measure command.

Quote Originally Posted by BrenBren
    You can also use the "preview" option in the current array dialogue to see that your array is the way you want it to be.

If you want to array along a line; look into the measure command.
    You could also adjust your UCS if you want to array differently than horizontal and vertical of the WCS.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Wink Re: Dynamic Array

I am aware of the array tool in AutoCad 2007, but it is just too complicated with all the windows open up and buttons I have to click and dimensions I have to enter, etc.
    Why not arraying while drawing to see the effect and the result on screen to get a better idea. In that case, I would say array, say how many elements I want to array, than move the cursor and elements would move with my cursor and be place in accurate relation to the starting point and the end point. Its just a matter of get AutoCad being more a drawing tool than a keyboard tool.

Quote Originally Posted by hausmeister25
    I am aware of the array tool in AutoCad 2007, but it is just too complicated with all the windows open up and buttons I have to click and dimensions I have to enter, etc.
    Why not arraying while drawing to see the effect and the result on screen to get a better idea. In that case, I would say array, say how many elements I want to array, than move the cursor and elements would move with my cursor and be place in accurate relation to the starting point and the end point. Its just a matter of get AutoCad being more a drawing tool than a keyboard tool.
    You have the 1st object on screen and you want an array of 10 columns -should it be the 2nd or the 10th object that is directly controlled by cursor position? Now imagine the same question applied to both x and y axis positions. Do you set position by eye?
    IMO, it sounds like a recipe for very inaccurate drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok
    You have the 1st object on screen and you want an array of 10 columns -should it be the 2nd or the 10th object that is directly controlled by cursor position? Now imagine the same question applied to both x and y axis positions. Do you set position by eye?
    IMO, it sounds like a recipe for very inaccurate drawings.
    Thanks Jaberwok.
    It is the 2nd object that is directly controlled by cursor position, having told AutoCad how many colums I want to array. On screen, I would see the columns moving into the direction I move the cursor to. The distances between the columns will obviously be the distance between the 1st to the 2nd object.

It might sound new, as we are used to typ in precise distances on the keyboard or offsetting elements. But, it is easier than you might think

How would you draw 10 columns with a distance of 6 meters along the x-Axis today?

1.)use the Array Tool, having managed to fill all the data in the Array Box.
    2.)use the Offset Tool by clicking 10 times on each new column.
    3.)use the Copy+Move Tool (new in AutoCad2007)...or you say e.g. 10 and move the cursor from the 1st to the 2nd element. Done.

I interpret a dynamic array as having the start and end points acting as grips. These points could be moved to new locations and the spacing of the array would update to reflect the original criteria- spaced at 5'-0" oc or 6 equal spaces whatever. Updates could also be made without moving the start and end points- from 5 eq to 6 eq spaces etc.

This would be a great tool especially for polar arrays which are very tedious to layout and then heartbreaking to redo when the layout changes.

Quote Originally Posted by hausmeister25
    Thanks Jaberwok.
    It is the 2nd object that is directly controlled by cursor position, having told AutoCad how many colums I want to array. On screen, I would see the columns moving into the direction I move the cursor to. The distances between the columns will obviously be the distance between the 1st to the 2nd object.

It might sound new, as we are used to typ in precise distances on the keyboard or offsetting elements. But, it is easier than you might think

How would you draw 10 columns with a distance of 6 meters along the x-Axis today?

1.)use the Array Tool, having managed to fill all the data in the Array Box.
    No problem.
    2.)use the Offset Tool by clicking 10 times on each new column.
    Only with single lines at right-angles to the array direction. Therefore only along one axis.
    3.)use the Copy+Move Tool (new in AutoCad2007)...or you say e.g. 10 and move the cursor from the 1st to the 2nd element. Done.
    But by pointing so imprecise.
    Perhaps something like having Direct Distance Entry applied multiple times?
    Pick a first point, drag cursor in the correct direction then type the distance from the first to the second point and the same distance is used for the third to tenth points.
    In the meantime, a lisp routine should be able to do that.