See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: BIM and FM

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default BIM and FM

I was curious, have many people here used BIM information in their FM projects? If so, can you give an example? Thanks!
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 2006-09-10 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling..

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: BIM and FM

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    I was curious, have many people here used BIM information in their FM projects? Is so, can you give an example? Thanks!
    Well, as all of my project are FM projects , I have given this topic quite a bit of thought.

While we haven't made any moves toward BIM, I have had a segment on the MEP Systems programs for the past two years at my company's annual planning conference.

for some of my thoughts on the topic...
    Building Systems for FM?

I *am* the End User

Poll: Revit Packaging

About 3D in FM

BIM for Facilities Management

The Future from an FM Perspective

You might be interested in an implementation I heard about from Robin Capper:
    Sydney Opera House FM Exemplar Project.

I'm looking forward to a class by Clyne Curtis this year at AU, Revit for FM. Should be some good stuff.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: BIM and FM

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer
    You might be interested in an implementation I heard about from Robin Capper:
    Sydney Opera House FM Exemplar Project.

I'm looking forward to a class by Clyne Curtis this year at AU, Revit for FM. Should be some good stuff.
    Nice links!

Over on the Cadalyst discussion forum I was fortunate to talk to Chris Linning, the Tech Info Coordinator for the Sydney Opera House. They've done a fair amount of modeling in Triforma and the contractors typically use either Autodesk or Bentley products. As a result, interoperability of data is one of the most critical aspects of a BIM scenario. From there its how do you best make use of that data? At last word it was something they were still diving into.

I was hoping to meet Clyne this year, I still might, he's just in one of the few Revit classes I'm not taking due to scheduling issues with the Revit track of classes.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: BIM and FM

Thanks. I can always count on Robin to point out neat stuff.

Too !

I've never even touched Triforma, in fact, I had only recently stumbled across information, quite accidentally, on their BIM MEP and their FM products.

I know what a nightmare it is just importing/quickly using the handful of dgn files I've rec'd at work, I cannot even imagine! how a building/systems model would work being transferred back and forth. Good golly miss molly!

I did see a topic over in the Revit forum along the lines of the possible frustrations...

Integrating Microstation 3D, Autodesk Building Products in Revit

As for making use of data... mmm... isn't that the fun part. What data do we really need, will we really use, SHOULD we really use? The possibilities are endless, but, of course, you could get bogged down with doing things just because you can, not because they provide a clear cost benefit.
    ahhh... fun stuff!
    Nice links!

Over on the Cadalyst discussion forum I was fortunate to talk to Chris Linning, the Tech Info Coordinator for the Sydney Opera House. They've done a fair amount of modeling in Triforma and the contractors typically use either Autodesk or Bentley products. As a result, interoperability of data is one of the most critical aspects of a BIM scenario. From there its how do you best make use of that data? At last word it was something they were still diving into.

I was hoping to meet Clyne this year, I still might, he's just in one of the few Revit classes I'm not taking due to scheduling issues with the Revit track of classes.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

As for making use of data... mmm... isn't that the fun part. What data do we really need, will we really use, SHOULD we really use? The possibilities are endless, but, of course, you could get bogged down with doing things just because you can, not because they provide a clear cost benefit.
    FM is where BIM gets interesting. Most of the BIM (Building Information Modeling) talk you'll read relates to productivity benefits, parametric design (how all views/details stay coordinated), as well as being able to do efficiency studies and materials breakdowns. Yet on the FM end you'll have the opportunity to use all that data + some! On the architecture end we discuss not getting "bogged down" with adding more information than we need, yet on the FM end information is really POWER. How much do/will you require your designers, suppliers, construction experts, etc to supply to you in order to coordinate that within the building model?

So looking at your question of "what do we really need?" the answer is any information that the building model can support and still be an efficient system for yourself and all individuals involved in construction and management of a facility/complex. Personally I call BIM what Phil Read calls it, Building Information Management because that's what it is. In reality it should likely be call PIM - Property Information Management as everything you ever would design/manage would be the property of someone, may it be the site or the building. As a result of all this, we really need database interoperability between all programs as each company and individual will have their own program of choice for greatest productivity and comfortability.

But still that raises the question... to what extent do we use BIM for in FM? As you said, the options are almost unlimited, yet I wonder how we currently use this information and what the future plans of our members are?

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: BIM and FM

FM is where BIM gets interesting. ... Personally I call BIM what Phil Read calls it, Building Information Management because that's what it is. In reality it should likely be call PIM - Property Information Management as everything you ever would design/manage would be the property of someone, may it be the site or the building...
    I like the term FIM Facilities Information Model & FIMS Facilities Information Management System.
    ~But let's not confuse the issue.~

Right now I'm having a little difficulty trying to find out what we should be calling them in French, you guys got any ideas?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais
    I like the term FIM Facilities Information Model & FIMS Facilities Information Management System.

Right now I'm having a little difficulty trying to find out what we should be calling them in French, you guys got any ideas?
    FIM works for me, yet I'd say the model itself would just be part of the FIMS system... perhaps FIM indicating the model as a whole and FIMS the entire process.
    Here's another interesting link:
    http://www.nibs.org/BIMcommittee.html

My last French speaking relative passed away about 20+ years ago (my grandmother was born there), so its out of my area of expertise...
    Last edited by Brian Myers; 2006-09-10 at 10:01 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais

FIMS, I believe, is the term that Archibus attaches to CAFM. (computer aided facilities management for the uninitiated)

And, like Dilbert has pointed out, some standards are being created for Building Information Models, and the first version should be out by the end of the year. People from many disciplines (including FM) are contributing to find the most workable definition and specifications.

As for your translating Facilities Management to French (I saw your post over in the other forum, thanks for helping to promote the new forum, you rock!)... instead of Facilities... how about Buildings, Campus, System, Asset, Lease or Space management... or a few of those words in there just to get the point across?
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

As for your translating Facilities Management to French (I saw your post over in the other forum, thanks for helping to promote the new forum, you rock!)... instead of Facilities... how about Buildings, Campus, System, Asset, Lease or Space management... or a few of those words in there just to get the point across?
    I've started to make some inroads, but it's such a vast subject. I think getting the new software installed next month may speed up the process for me.
    Cheers!