See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Placing AutoCAD sheets onto Revit titleblocks

Login to Give a bone

Default Placing AutoCAD sheets onto Revit titleblocks

I have an AutoCAD file from a consultant which has several sheet layout tabs across the bottom of the screen, with different plan view information on each sheet, and then a separate file with various details on various sheet layouts.

Is there a way to take each sheet layout view, including the consultant title block, and create a separate AutoCAD file so that I can place that sheet onto one of our titleblocks in Revit?

Or alternatively, is there a way to place AutoCAD sheet layouts directly onto a Revit title block?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Placing AutoCAD sheets onto Revit titleblocks

surely there is a way....

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I think you can eTransmit the layout tabs to separate files in AutoCAD (I'm trying my best to forget all that I know in AutoCAD) but Revit only pulls in what is in Model space... sort of like Xreffing.

Login to Give a bone

surely there is a way to "export" what is on a sheet tab to a separate AutoCAD file, so that the title block and everything is in model space. Then I could place that on a Revit sheet.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    surely there is a way to "export" what is on a sheet tab to a separate AutoCAD file, so that the title block and everything is in model space. Then I could place that on a Revit sheet.
    If you just want the info I guess you could plot to pdf and bring that into Revit. Can you insert a .dwf into Revit?

Login to Give a bone

There is a menu option for "Link DWF markup set" but I don't know if that would let me place individual sheet layouts from the AutoCAD file.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    There is a menu option for "Link DWF markup set" but I don't know if that would let me place individual sheet layouts from the AutoCAD file.
    I've never played with .dwf, but I saw a quick demo on it yesterday. If acad exports dwf's the same way revit does, then I think you can either have a bunch of individual files, or one file with all the layouts inside it. The ones generated by Revit have a surprising level of interaction built in, including live links to jump from a tag to the sheet it references.

Login to Give a bone

Well, I don't think I remember a one-step "export from paperspace" tool in AutoCAD, so I'll suggest a couple of workarounds:

MicroStation can open DWGs and save out the paperspace layouts directly as DWG models. This is the most direct route, but relies on you having MicroStation. You could download an academic copy of PowerDraft from Bentley, but that's for non-commercial use.

Copy and Paste the paperspace elements into modelspace; then activate the viewport(s) in paperspace and Copy and Paste their contents out into modelspace. A pain if you have many viewports.

Last resort - print the AutoCAD as tiffs (you don't need to scale off these drawings, right? This is just for printing from Revit)

Login to Give a bone

I'm sure I'll end up having to use some sort of image workaround. Would be nice if we could place PDF's directly into Revit. Would TIFF give me the best image quality vs. file size?

And yes I would like for the drawings to be to scale when they are on our title blocks.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I have an AutoCAD file from a consultant which has several sheet layout tabs across the bottom of the screen, with different plan view information on each sheet, and then a separate file with various details on various sheet layouts.

Is there a way to take each sheet layout view, including the consultant title block, and create a separate AutoCAD file so that I can place that sheet onto one of our titleblocks in Revit?

Or alternatively, is there a way to place AutoCAD sheet layouts directly onto a Revit title block?
    Am I missing something? I just save each drawing separately & import them...if there are a lot of details I cut and paste from AutoCAD onto the Revit sheet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast