Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Working with different Dimension scales and different Viewports scales

All AUGI, all the time SRBalliet's Avatar
    Near Christiansburg, VA Looking for a closer job!
    Login to Give a bone

Default Working with different Dimension scales and different Viewports scales

Often with our bridge details we have multiple details in model space drawn 1 to 1, but then need to show them in paperspace in different viewports with different scales. The problem is we have to use different dimstyles for the different details based on the desired scale shown in paperspace. When you switch dimscales to do the next detail, but then have to go back and revise a detail already done, the dims will change scale as soon as you touch the dim. How do others deal with this problem? Is there something I am missing that I should be doing different?

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Working with different Dimension scales and different Viewports scales

Unfortunately that's an issue that still hasn't been addressed by Autodesk. Programs such as ADT and ABS are better in that they will scale text according to drawing scale but the drawback is they are not viewport specific. The ultimate would be text and dimensions that scale to each individual viewport but from a programming standpoint I'm sure that is quite difficult to do.

Until then I think you're doing what the rest of us are.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Working with different Dimension scales and different Viewports scales

Quote Originally Posted by srb
    Often with our bridge details we have multiple details in model space drawn 1 to 1, but then need to show them in paperspace in different viewports with different scales. The problem is we have to use different dimstyles for the different details based on the desired scale shown in paperspace. When you switch dimscales to do the next detail, but then have to go back and revise a detail already done, the dims will change scale as soon as you touch the dim. How do others deal with this problem? Is there something I am missing that I should be doing different?
    I usually do not put dims in paperspace, but have you tried that? I don't recall if it work in '05

Login to Give a bone

in acad 2006, i do all annotation and dimensioning in PS. the dims (mostly) automatically detects the viewport scale and adjusts the dim's readout accordingly.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

All AUGI, all the time SRBalliet's Avatar
    Near Christiansburg, VA Looking for a closer job!
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91
    I usually do not put dims in paperspace, but have you tried that? I don't recall if it work in '05
    It's not our office policy to put dims in PS either. Do we want to switch? I don't know.

Login to Give a bone

It's not our office policy to put dims in PS either. Do we want to switch? I don't know.

I'd suggest looking into ps dimensioning. It has got better over the last couple of releases and it does sound as if you could benefit.

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I was having some isssues with dimensioning also. After getting a bunch of input from here, I started doing all my dimensioning in Paperspace.

I'll never go back.

If you want to check out the thread...

Have a good one!

Login to Give a bone

This could be one of those very rare instances when you bend the standards

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91
    This could be one of those very rare instances when you bend the standards
    the way 'nilla cad seems to be going, ps annotaion IS the new standard.

we also didn't have preconceived notions prior to 2k6, then we did all modelspace plotting. thankfully that headache is over!
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

I could stop if I wanted to johan d's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We set dimscale to 0.
    text heigth 3.5

Is you doubleclick in a viewport, it becomes modelspace. Here we do the dimensioning. (in fact it's in modelspace now)
    If you double click in another viewport with another scale, the dimension will look the same, but if you go to the modelspace, you will see it's not the same scale as the previous viewport.

Until now we didn't have any problems with this approach.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast