Thread: Automatic way of checking for crossing strings in plan view

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Automatic way of checking for crossing strings in plan view

When drawing 3d topographic surveys many of our clients request that we do not have any of the top of kerb lines crossing the channel (bottom of kerb) line for some 3d modeling packages.

Whilst we endeavor to ensure no such errors occur, it is sometimes very difficult and time consuming to manually check this in a plan view for myself as QC manager (I have a good level of CAD understanding and have been working on many 3d jobs for 4+ years).

One of our clients just asked if we could provide a method statement of how we would ensure that the kerb and channel lines do not cross each other. This stumped me to provide anything apart from "manually checking it on screen". This certainly doesn't sound very professional and i would like to put something in place for this if possible.

Does anyone out there know of any methods/.lsps etc which might automate this process?

The lines which form our kerbs are not always continuous strings, but of course we could join them if needed. We prefer not to join them as AutoCAD has no way of joining arcs on a non parallel ucs to anything. We have a routine which will join arcs and lines in 3d BUT it facets the arcs into many short segments which creates many vertices which looks ugly imo and also on large sites adds massively to the file size.

Any input much appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Automatic way of checking for crossing strings in plan view

Quote Originally Posted by mmccarter
    When drawing 3d topographic surveys many of our clients request that we do not have any of the top of kerb lines crossing the channel (bottom of kerb) line for some 3d modeling packages.

Whilst we endeavor to ensure no such errors occur, it is sometimes very difficult and time consuming to manually check this in a plan view for myself as QC manager (I have a good level of CAD understanding and have been working on many 3d jobs for 4+ years).

One of our clients just asked if we could provide a method statement of how we would ensure that the kerb and channel lines do not cross each other. This stumped me to provide anything apart from "manually checking it on screen". This certainly doesn't sound very professional and i would like to put something in place for this if possible.

Does anyone out there know of any methods/.lsps etc which might automate this process?

The lines which form our kerbs are not always continuous strings, but of course we could join them if needed. We prefer not to join them as AutoCAD has no way of joining arcs on a non parallel ucs to anything. We have a routine which will join arcs and lines in 3d BUT it facets the arcs into many short segments which creates many vertices which looks ugly imo and also on large sites adds massively to the file size.

Any input much appreciated.
    I know of no such automated process. I manually check the lines on screen as well. Then again, I don't do a lot of large site plans.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Oh well, It was a long shot but thanks for re-inforcing my theory and practices

I guess the only possible solution would be to flatten the drawing to 2D, isolationg just the channel and kerb strings and getting some smart person to write a routine to check for any intersections between the two lines.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mmccarter
    Oh well, It was a long shot but thanks for re-inforcing my theory and practices

I guess the only possible solution would be to flatten the drawing to 2D, isolationg just the channel and kerb strings and getting some smart person to write a routine to check for any intersections between the two lines.
    How does your staff draw the arc in 3D? Do they change the UCS just for those curves? I'm just curious.

Thanks.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt