Thread: Using Spaces

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Using Spaces

Is there any way to override the space height in a space to say (Varies) ??

The space height is a component dim. and it will only let me put numbers in the space.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Using Spaces

Quote Originally Posted by pangell
    Is there any way to override the space height in a space to say (Varies) ??

The space height is a component dim. and it will only let me put numbers in the space.
    If you are using ADT 2004 or later:

What you will need to do is set up a Manual property to hold the override value. Give that property a default value that you would never want to use as an override value. Then set up an unformatted version of your space height Automatic property [no architectural imperial formatting; no prefixes or suffixes]. Now create a Formula property that checks the Manual override property: if it finds the default value, pass through the unformatted Automatic property value, otherwise, pass through the Manual property value. Apply the desired Property Data Format to the Formula property. Finally, edit any Schedule Tags or Schedule Table Styles to display the Formula property, in lieu of the original Automatic property.

You may find the following blog articles of interest:
    http://architects-desktop.blogspot.c...lue-using.html
    (follow the link in the article to a sample file in the Autodesk Discussion Groups)
    http://architects-desktop.blogspot.c...-formulas.html
    http://architects-desktop.blogspot.c...d-numeric.html

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Using Spaces

Do you have any space that you have done this to that you can send me a sample of?

Thank-you

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pangell
    Do you have any space that you have done this to that you can send me a sample of?

Thank-you
    You would probably learn the concepts better by looking at the sample file in the Autodesk Discussion Group thread linked to in the first blog article, but if you want an example that uses the height property of spaces, take a look at the attached sample file I just put together. It has a sample schedule showing the original "Out-Of-The-Box" [OOTB] Height property, along with the values of the additional properties I created: HeightUnformatted, HeightOverride and HeightSchedule.
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I don't like manipulating the data of the spaces to achieve the desired results. However, I understand your need to do that. Would it not be better for spaces to have more than one ceiling height in reality? For example, it seems that you should be able to extend a space to an element above, much like you do a wall top. Then, any space that has more than one ceiling height, the height output would read, "Varies".

This question has come up before, and I suggested that the originator of that previous thread make it a wishlist item. To my knowledge, this has not been done, so I will do it.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Using Spaces

That file is very cool. I can see now how you do this. And can see how it can work for more things.

Thank-you Thank-you