See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Creating A door style and it drops the glass

Login to Give a bone

Smile Creating A door style and it drops the glass

I am trying to create a custom door in ADT 2005

I picked a standard AEC door and added it to my DWG.
    I then created a 2D drawing of what I want my door to look like
    Then converted it to a profile definition
    Applied the profile to my door and Bang, it dropped the glass, It is gone and only has one operation line.

I must be doing something wrong but can’t figure it out. I have attached the DWG to see if you can see what I did wrong.

Anybody have any advice?

Thanks a lot
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating A door style and it drops the glass

Quote Originally Posted by Father-of-Ten
    I am trying to create a custom door in ADT 2005

I picked a standard AEC door and added it to my DWG.
    I then created a 2D drawing of what I want my door to look like
    Then converted it to a profile definition
    Applied the profile to my door and Bang, it dropped the glass, It is gone and only has one operation line.

I must be doing something wrong but can’t figure it out. I have attached the DWG to see if you can see what I did wrong.

Anybody have any advice?

Thanks a lot
    I am not quite certain what you are trying to do with the profile, but the reason it will not let you pick both of the door panel rings you have drawn is that they touch each other. You do not need to draw the individual leaves; a single ring for the entire opening is sufficient. I stretched a copy of each of your door leaf rings away from the center by 0.01" so that they did not touch, and tried selecting the two door leaves first [not voids], then selecting the outer ring [as void] and finally the two glass rings [as voids]. ADT does not like void outer rings, and it is doing something very wierd with it - substituting that ring for the frame, perhaps??? [All modifications done in ADT 2004.]

The attached file has your original door, polylines & profile at the "right" and two of my attempts, at the left and center. The left effort is a copy of your polylines, without the individual door leaf polylines, and gives a result similar to what I would expect for a pair of glazed doors, but may not be what you want. The center effort is as described previously with the strectched door panels, with the bizzarre result.

Note also that since your polylines are not exactly 6'-0 wide x 7'-0" high, the profile will be scaled to fit in both height and width, throwing off the proportions of the original polylines.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch
    I am not quite certain what you are trying to do with the profile, but the reason it will not let you pick both of the door panel rings you have drawn is that they touch each other. You do not need to draw the individual leaves; a single ring for the entire opening is sufficient. I stretched a copy of each of your door leaf rings away from the center by 0.01" so that they did not touch, and tried selecting the two door leaves first [not voids], then selecting the outer ring [as void] and finally the two glass rings [as voids]. ADT does not like void outer rings, and it is doing something very wierd with it - substituting that ring for the frame, perhaps??? [All modifications done in ADT 2004.]

The attached file has your original door, polylines & profile at the "right" and two of my attempts, at the left and center. The left effort is a copy of your polylines, without the individual door leaf polylines, and gives a result similar to what I would expect for a pair of glazed doors, but may not be what you want. The center effort is as described previously with the strectched door panels, with the bizzarre result.

Note also that since your polylines are not exactly 6'-0 wide x 7'-0" high, the profile will be scaled to fit in both height and width, throwing off the proportions of the original polylines.
    Hello David

Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me.
    I understand now what is happening. When I read the users guide sometimes it is not very clear as to what to do.
    In the center unit you said that you had bizarre results, are you talking about what looks like an astrigal? The center unit looks like the door I am trying to create.

I will keep working on it.

Thanks again for your help...It was a HUGE help! Are you going to AU this year?

If you are maybe I will see you there.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Father-of-Ten
    Are you going to AU this year?
    Sadly, no. My company sent me in 2003 and I sent myself in 2004. Apparently, I need to have wealthier people [with looser pockets] sitting on my couch, as I have not been able to find enough money there to finance another trip myself.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch
    Sadly, no. My company sent me in 2003 and I sent myself in 2004. Apparently, I need to have wealthier people [with looser pockets] sitting on my couch, as I have not been able to find enough money there to finance another trip myself.
    Sorry to hear your not able to go. This is my 3rd year and am looking forward to it.

Have a great day