Thread: Can't keep wall and floor joined

Login to Give a bone

I think this topic was posted somewhere in the near past, but neither this site search engine nor googlegroups nor Autodesk's return any results, so... let's go:

Why does the "Can't keep wall and floor joined" error sometimes appear when you finish a floor sketch and you wish to clear the walls-floors intersections? Is there any advice or workaround to avoid it?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't keep wall and floor joined

I think it has something to do with walls-floors being aligned / locked in the previous configuration. When you change the sketch outline of the floor or go to move a wall, you get that error dialogue, which is saying the all previous bets are now off.

I don't how to work around it , or avoid it, but if someone does, please post .

beegee

Login to Give a bone

Actually, my situation looks even worse, because I'm not modifying the floor nor the walls. I create a new floor, want to attach it to the lower level walls, and get the error.

The only "special thing" in my walls is that the layer which passes at the front of the floor is thin (1cm or 2 cm). If I make this layer wider, it "seems" to fix the problem, although I'm not 100% sure of this (it could be just a coincidence)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by overcaffeined
    Actually, my situation looks even worse, because I'm not modifying the floor nor the walls. I create a new floor, want to attach it to the lower level walls, and get the error.

The only "special thing" in my walls is that the layer which passes at the front of the floor is thin (1cm or 2 cm). If I make this layer wider, it "seems" to fix the problem, although I'm not 100% sure of this (it could be just a coincidence)
    I can't think of any reson why a thin layer of a composite wall would make any difference. I will try to recreate that and see how it behaves. There is a supposed minimum thickness that revit recogises for a material - 6mm or 1/4" I think. Don't know if that could effect things.

beegee

Login to Give a bone

Forget my post. I believe I was using Revit in a wrong way. What I wanted is to clear wall-floor joins, and it seems you have to explicitly do this with the "join geometry" tool. Regarding attaching walls to floors it seems it requires that the wall falls fully inside the floor. If a part of the wall is not covered by the floor, you'll get the error.

I've started a new topic about wall-floor joins.