Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Raster Design convert a PDF to a DWG?

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Will Raster Design convert a PDF to a DWG?

Will Raster Design convert a pdf to a dwg? If not, are there any programs available that will convert a pdf into a high-resolution tiff (or comparable) to bring into RD?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Will Raster Design convert a PDF to a DWG?

That's something I haven't tried. I know it won't go directly from PDF to DWG, & a PDF can't be inserted into a DWG via RD like a normal image. I'll see what I can come up with.
    Give people a job worth doing, the tools to do it, recognition of a job well done & get out of the way.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by drafter29
    That's something I haven't tried. I know it won't go directly from PDF to DWG, & a PDF can't be inserted into a DWG via RD like a normal image. I'll see what I can come up with.
    Thanks Jane, I appreciate it! I'm looking around myself to see what I can use to convert it to a high-res TIFF. Would that be the best format to convert it to? I'm hoping to get around 400 dpi so I'll get a better conversion from RD.

Thanks Again!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stusic
    Thanks Jane, I appreciate it! I'm looking around myself to see what I can use to convert it to a high-res TIFF. Would that be the best format to convert it to? I'm hoping to get around 400 dpi so I'll get a better conversion from RD.

Thanks Again!
    What will you be using it for? If only a background image, bmp or cals might be a better format. They create smaller files. Tif is best if they will be edited. Either format should allow the 400 dpi. Jpg can be inserted into a drawing, but they tend to lose information. You may have to play with the formats to see what you can get from your PDF reader.
    Give people a job worth doing, the tools to do it, recognition of a job well done & get out of the way.

Login to Give a bone

What will you be using it for? If only a background image, bmp or cals might be a better format. They create smaller files. Tif is best if they will be edited. Either format should allow the 400 dpi. Jpg can be inserted into a drawing, but they tend to lose information. You may have to play with the formats to see what you can get from your PDF reader.
    I've got a pdf of a press roller that was drawn in the concept phase. I need to update this drawing to an as-built, so I need it to be in vector format for editing. One file, but the sheet is 8' x 2', and crammed with info.

I've converted from the PDF to a TIFF through our nifty Oce Plotter software, but...

I was trying to download the trial version of RD because I will only need it this one time, but apparently I can only download Raster Design 2007, which is only compatible with ACAD 2007. I'm using 2004. Grr...

Login to Give a bone

I've got a pdf of a press roller that was drawn in the concept phase. I need to update this drawing to an as-built, so I need it to be in vector format for editing. One file, but the sheet is 8' x 2', and crammed with info.

I've converted from the PDF to a TIFF through our nifty Oce Plotter software, but...

I was trying to download the trial version of RD because I will only need it this one time, but apparently I can only download Raster Design 2007, which is only compatible with ACAD 2007. I'm using 2004. Grr...
    If you only need it for tracing, it will insert into AutoCAD. You can rotate & scale it to fit your needs, then trace over it to make vector lines. Afterwards, you can erase the tif file.

Login to Give a bone

I was hoping I wouldn't have to trace it - doesn't RD convert it to vector format for me?

Login to Give a bone

I was hoping I wouldn't have to trace it - doesn't RD convert it to vector format for me?
    Not automatically. It does have some neat tools to pick individual lines & it will turn them into vector lines. To make it work, it has to be scanned as a bitonal image. Colored images can be turned into bitonal, but you can lose the clarity of text.

Login to Give a bone

Not automatically. It does have some neat tools to pick individual lines & it will turn them into vector lines. To make it work, it has to be scanned as a bitonal image. Colored images can be turned into bitonal, but you can lose the clarity of text.
    I have a bitonal image - black and white! Two tones! Haha!

Oh, this is getting confusing and more trouble than it seems to be worth. I wonder if Scan2CAD would work better...

I'm going to leave work early and drink margaritas...

Thanks Jane!

Login to Give a bone

I have a bitonal image - black and white! Two tones! Haha!

Oh, this is getting confusing and more trouble than it seems to be worth. I wonder if Scan2CAD would work better...

I'm going to leave work early and drink margaritas...

Thanks Jane!
    I've heard Scan2CAD works pretty well, but make sure you double check everything.
    Drink one for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast