Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exterior walls joined...but doesn't show in Elevations...HELP I NEED TO MEET A DEADLINE! :)

Login to Give a bone

Angry Exterior walls joined...but doesn't show in Elevations...HELP I NEED TO MEET A DEADLINE! :)

I have a deadline this evening...and of course i'm running into issues. I have attached an image of a 3d view of the problem. I have a first floor wall going up to the top plates level, a 1'-2-3/4" gap for my floor system and another wall above it (Aligned perfectly) and have taken the stucco extension minus 1'-2-3/4" and joined both walls. In section the materials mesh and there are no lines separating these walls. But in 3d view and elevations, the line shows up. These walls are perfectly aligned on top of each other. materials are joined. floor system is joined as well. A little guidance would be much appreciated. Let me know if any further clarification is needed.problem.JPG

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Exterior walls joined...but doesn't show in Elevations...HELP I NEED TO MEET A DEADLINE! :)

Sometimes the Linework tool is your only friend, especially in a looming deadline. Do any of the walls have profile edits?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Exterior walls joined...but doesn't show in Elevations...HELP I NEED TO MEET A DEADLINE! :)

"linework tool," meaning put a filled region or something to cover up the line in elevation? No wall profile edits on these walls. The top wal is attached to the roof, but that's it.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Modify>Linework>Invisible Lines

Login to Give a bone

Or just type LW....there will be a new panel that shows up...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Just a suggestion for future reference. For a wall that goes all the way up multiple levels, like those exterior walls do, I model them as one wall rather than two walls on top of each other. It eliminates problems like this as well as numerous other problems you will have when having to make changes to those walls.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by renogreen View Post
    Just a suggestion for future reference. For a wall that goes all the way up multiple levels, like those exterior walls do, I model them as one wall rather than two walls on top of each other. It eliminates problems like this as well as numerous other problems you will have when having to make changes to those walls.
    I wish it could be that simple. But if you are using Revit for a BIM model, rather than just getting a good model to get the job done, having seperate walls is a must. For coordination and clashing, you must draw two walls on top of each other.

I spoke with the BIM coordinator and he said having the fines will be fine for right now...

Now to get the model complete to meet this deadline. Thanks for all the input all.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by chris_3302 View Post
    I wish it could be that simple. But if you are using Revit for a BIM model, rather than just getting a good model to get the job done, having seperate walls is a must. For coordination and clashing, you must draw two walls on top of each other.
    This is an interesting comment. Could you possibly expand on it?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Been using Revit since 2004...have done lots of coordination and clashing and I have never heard such a thing.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I think it is all about how the building is constructed and what information you need to get from the model, right? If you are creating wall schedules that show base and top locations, you'll need each wall to be modeled exactly as it will be built. The example posted here looks like residential. Let's say it is stud-wall construction, so each wall would go from floor to floor in most cases, not multiple levels.

Personally, on most of the projects I've worked, we don't need to do wall schedules that report this type of information, so we do multi-level walls. However, sometimes you need to follow the construction logic to get the information you need. All depends on how accurate to the construction you need the model to be IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast