Thread: Object Group issue

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Object Group issue

I have an object group which I've copied to other parts of my drawing. My problem now is the layout of that group needs to be changed and I can't ungroup the copies, only the original. I tried exploding the copies but I loose all my plines which isn't good in this instance. Any idea how I can ungroup the copies I made?

All AUGI, all the time arshiel88's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Object Group issue

The group copied usually an anonymous group. In the groups dialog, use the Find Name button, then check the Include anonymous, then select the group and explode. Alternatively, you can temporarily disable grouping by Ctrl+Shift+A, then you can modify the group members.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by arshiel88 View Post
    The group copied usually an anonymous group. In the groups dialog, use the Find Name button, then check the Include anonymous, then select the group and explode. Alternatively, you can temporarily disable grouping by Ctrl+Shift+A, then you can modify the group members.
    I knew there was a simple answer. Unfortunately, I've already erased them all and created a block so if they change in again in the future I can keep thier orientation and just edit the block definition. It's what I should have done in the first place. You know what they say, hindsight is always 20/20.

Login to Give a bone

I have just considered using a grouped set. My question is....Is there a way to add a group to a tool pallet for insertion into other drawings?. Reason being... they are 2 seperate blocks...they need to stay as seperate blocks (for attext and othe misc tasks...ie autocad Electrical).. but i want them to stay together as a group. If needed i can post the blocks I am working with for an example

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by r424andy View Post
    I have just considered using a grouped set. My question is....Is there a way to add a group to a tool pallet for insertion into other drawings?. Reason being... they are 2 seperate blocks...they need to stay as seperate blocks (for attext and othe misc tasks...ie autocad Electrical).. but i want them to stay together as a group. If needed i can post the blocks I am working with for an example
    create a single block that contains both blocks and set the properties of the tool to explode the block on insert, that will leave you with the 2 nested blocks ready to be edited.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ccowgill View Post
    create a single block that contains both blocks and set the properties of the tool to explode the block on insert, that will leave you with the 2 nested blocks ready to be edited.
    The thing is i want the two blocks as a group after...That way when one block is moved the other will go with it. They need to stay as two sepperate blocks.

All AUGI, all the time arshiel88's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Group the two blocks and save the drawing containing the two blocks. Make a palette containing the drawing saved by Create tool palette of blocks in Design Center. Insert it in a new drawing and you just have to explode the block manually and the group stays. Because if we set the property of the tool to explode upon insert, the group is also exploded. I think we have to live with that. Unless it can be 'programmatically' done.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by arshiel88 View Post
    Group the two blocks and save the drawing containing the two blocks. Make a palette containing the drawing saved by Create tool palette of blocks in Design Center. Insert it in a new drawing and you just have to explode the block manually and the group stays. Because if we set the property of the tool to explode upon insert, the group is also exploded. I think we have to live with that. Unless it can be 'programmatically' done.
    Programmatically is easy, just set up a reactor to fire when the tool palette is used to insert the block, have it explode the block, if the group is still being exploded, set up the program to automatically group the last selection set (which when the single block is exploded, the 2 individual blocks are considered the last selection set.)