Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insert jpg/bmp files as embedded

Login to Give a bone

Default Insert jpg/bmp files as embedded

Is there a way to embed jpg or bmp files into a dwg?
    Our company's new logo is very detailed and renders best when plotted/printed as a bmp or jpg file. I need to insert a set of 5 jpg files into our titleblock. I really don't want to accidentally ship the drawings out to a client and forget to send the extras.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Insert jpg/bmp files as embedded

Quote Originally Posted by bnelson.125381
    Is there a way to embed jpg or bmp files into a dwg?
    Our company's new logo is very detailed and renders best when plotted/printed as a bmp or jpg file. I need to insert a set of 5 jpg files into our titleblock. I really don't want to accidentally ship the drawings out to a client and forget to send the extras.
    Welcome to AUGI!

As far as I know, there is no way of embedding image files effectively except by copy and pasting from a raster image program (like Paint).

Personally I use the Publish command (or Pack'n'Go) to collect everything up together before shipping drawings out. As a preference, I would send a DWF to a client.

Login to Give a bone

to be clear....if I use a photo/paint source and copyclip, the image will "travel" with the drawing?

On the other side of the pond, where they speak real English!
    Login to Give a bone

We do it by using the OLE option. It seems to work OK and once added the image remains with the CAD file so there is no worry about somebody at the other end separating the DWG from the BMP in different folders and them not being able to find the correct path.

Login to Give a bone

thanks, I'll give those a try!

Login to Give a bone

to be clear....if I use a photo/paint source and copyclip, the image will "travel" with the drawing?
    The image will travel, it is the same as philpiper says, it is using the OLE option which embeds the image into the drawing file.

Some things to be careful with here; if you have to change an image, you will have to do it to every drawing in the project, also, how can you be sure that all the drawings have the image inserted? If possible, I would OLE the image into a Title Sheet file and Xref the Title Sheet into all your drawings, that way it is easy to change and will always be consistent.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Our company has recently revamped it's logo and as a result of this I have been asked to investigate the plausability of embedding a jpg image into our border files.

I want to steer clear of inserting a reference image, as the original poster said, there is a chance that drawings will be sent out without the jpg attachement. In addition to this we would not be able to control our clients forwarding on any of our drawings and likely forgetting to send our logo image along with it.
    From my old experience with OLE objects wouldnt this dramatically increase the file size of a dwg? Is there a way to use an OLE image but keep the file size to something reasonable?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mmccarter
    Our company has recently revamped it's logo and as a result of this I have been asked to investigate the plausability of embedding a jpg image into our border files.

I want to steer clear of inserting a reference image, as the original poster said, there is a chance that drawings will be sent out without the jpg attachement. In addition to this we would not be able to control our clients forwarding on any of our drawings and likely forgetting to send our logo image along with it.
    From my old experience with OLE objects wouldnt this dramatically increase the file size of a dwg? Is there a way to use an OLE image but keep the file size to something reasonable?
    Spot on, OLE will crank up the file size, that is why I only OLE onto an Xreffed in Title Sheet, keeps the file size low until it is bound in, then it will be someone elses problem.

Login to Give a bone

I'm willing to give on file size....but as I tried the ole option in my new titleblock, then inserted the .dwg into a real-time situation, the ole's dropped out when the titleblock was exploded and/or burst.....which regularly happens within my company setting. I want to make sure that those logos stay put when a subconsultant or someone less experienced in-house chooses to bypass drafting controls.

Login to Give a bone

I'm willing to give on file size....but as I tried the ole option in my new titleblock, then inserted the .dwg into a real-time situation, the ole's dropped out when the titleblock was exploded and/or burst.....which regularly happens within my company setting. I want to make sure that those logos stay put when a subconsultant or someone less experienced in-house chooses to bypass drafting controls.
    Whenever I Bind/Explode/Burst an OLE containing block, the OLE image stays put for me.

Also, I would be making sure that your less experienced ops are doing things right, if a subby gets it wrong, then that's thier lookout, nine times out of ten they will be removing your logo anyway, that's just the way of the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast