Thread: Sheet does not update when referring Views changed in Modelspace ?

Login to Give a bone

Default Sheet does not update when referring Views changed in Modelspace ?

Sheet Set Manager had been a great tool for us until we made changes to the VIEWs in Model Space in the Source Files. I had to manually delete the Viewports on the Sheets and re-drag the Views from Source Files onto the Sheet to reflect the changes in the Model Space Views. I can't imagine doing this every time when the Views are changed.

Does anybody have any idea how to deal with this? We are using AutoCAD 2005. Are there any enhancements on this in 2006/2007? Is there a way to approach this from LISP or VBA? SSM won't be a useful tool for us without the ability to automatically update the Sheets when referring Views are changed. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sheet does not update when referring Views changed in Modelspace ?

Quote Originally Posted by bzeng
    Sheet Set Manager had been a great tool for us until we made changes to the VIEWs in Model Space in the Source Files. I had to manually delete the Viewports on the Sheets and re-drag the Views from Source Files onto the Sheet to reflect the changes in the Model Space Views. I can't imagine doing this every time when the Views are changed.

Does anybody have any idea how to deal with this? We are using AutoCAD 2005. Are there any enhancements on this in 2006/2007? Is there a way to approach this from LISP or VBA? SSM won't be a useful tool for us without the ability to automatically update the Sheets when referring Views are changed. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    what do you mean by 'changed'? is the same geometry (tho modified) still there? or did you completely change the location of a view?
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N
    what do you mean by 'changed'? is the same geometry (tho modified) still there? or did you completely change the location of a view?
    The View's boundary(x,y or width/height) has changed. Not much the content, which I know will get automatically updated when the xref updated. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

The View's boundary(x,y or width/height) has changed. Not much the content, which I know will get automatically updated when the xref updated. Thanks.
    yeah, the user is the culprit in this instance. those saved views are just a snapshot of space that are used for reference by the SSM. when you change the view location simply by renaming a new window the same name as an existing one, all you are really doing is erasing the original. it won't automatically track the spaces based on the view name.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

I would definitely suggest to have this on the wishlist. Since the VIEWS (in Model Space) seem to be the essential thing for SSM. Wouldn't it be nice if the Viewports in Sheets could update when the referring View boundary in Model Space has changed - similar to the way how XREF updates.

I am curious if there's a way to handle this via LISP or VBA. Any suggestions?

Login to Give a bone

I would definitely suggest to have this on the wishlist. Since the VIEWS (in Model Space) seem to be the essential thing for SSM. Wouldn't it be nice if the Viewports in Sheets could update when the referring View boundary in Model Space has changed - similar to the way how XREF updates.

I am curious if there's a way to handle this via LISP or VBA. Any suggestions?
    wow, i don't know. only way i can figure is if you lock in the boundary coordinates as a value for such a program to track, and even then, how do you get the vport to update in another file? it's a good Q for the programmers, that's for sure!
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N
    wow, i don't know. only way i can figure is if you lock in the boundary coordinates as a value for such a program to track, and even then, how do you get the vport to update in another file? it's a good Q for the programmers, that's for sure!
    I finally got a handle on this. In Acad2007, there is a new method called "SyncModelView" added to the Paper Space Viewport object. I was able to call this function in a VBA macro to see the Views updated on a Sheet when there's a change in View boundary/location in the X-ref drawing where the View is defined. I do suggest this should be a built-in function in the SSM.

Another question, when working with the View Manager via VIEW - "Named Views", there are additional properties such as "Background Override" and "Live Section" in ACAD2007. What are those for and how do they work? I'd like to use a distinct background for my Named View only (not the entire document). Can this be done and how?