Thread: Brace frames in RS4

Login to Give a bone

Default Brace frames in RS4

Just more of a question. I've created a model, tried (Unsuccessfully) to place HSS brace frames in my model. I set my parameters to have the brace associated with the upper level of the brace, the start point is at the upper level and the end point is at the lower level. When I try to place them, about 1/2 or more didn't model correctly. Dose anyone have any good advice for how to place brace frames in RS. I've also tried to set up framing (brace frame) elevations first and place them, but that only worked about 1/2 the time. Any one else have issues in RS4 with Braces? I didn't have this much trouble in RS3.

I could stop if I wanted to kmarsh's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Brace frames in RS4

Hi David,

Are you referring to the physical model or the analytical model? (or both?) I tried making a simple frame and from the attached picture, the brace seems to go in physically, ok. (analytical is ok too in my example) I created this by selecting the brace tool and clicking the centerline/endpoint of the beam and then clicking at about 6" (by ref plane) above the bottom of the left column. (this is typically what I would have done in practice).

It's likely that you may be working with a different brace configuration or likely more complicated geometry so if you have some extra time and you could add some pictures or maybe a Revit file that demonstrates the issue, it would be helpful in trying to figure out what's going on.

Thanks,
    -Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken Marsh
    Owner, Marsh API

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Brace frames in RS4

Hi Ken,
    Thanks for the response. The Anayltical model seemed ok, but I was getting weird things happening with the physical model. Then I realized that I had the 3d Snapping on because I was placing them in a 3d view at first. I never did get good results that way. After turning that off and going to a framing elevation, I was able to get them to appear correctly. For some reason, Revit seems to like to snap to random things. I've got this same issue with non-orthangonal grid lines and cols. I think it'd be a great added feature to a column property to display what grid intersection that col is associated with. Currently if you have cols that (for what ever reason) don't get placed on a grid, there's not a very easy way to find out if your col is associated with a grid.
    Thanks again.