Thread: Scheduling room information from a linked file

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Scheduling room information from a linked file

Hi All,

I am trying to get room information to show up in a specialty equipment. Problem being, the rooms are in a linked file, and the equipment doesn't understand that it is in the room for that linked file. The project lead doesn't want us as a consultant to have rooms in our file.

I'm able to run a room schedule no problem, but not this equipment schedule. I am open to any suggestions.

Thank you in advance,
    Jeff S.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Scheduling room information from a linked file

see attached.

Does this help?

If you need the Specialty Equipment to be "Room Aware" I'm not sure this is possible?
    Last edited by cliff collins; 2011-09-19 at 08:26 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    see attached.

Does this help?

If you need the Specialty Equipment to be "Room Aware" I'm not sure this is possible?
    I think that I'll need to have rooms in my model. Back to room separation lines and coordination...

Thanks again,
    Jeff S.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Scheduling room information from a linked file

***Update***

So I talked to our lead on this project, and they said to make their model which is linked into mine "Room Bounding". This helps a little, so I don't have to have Room Separation lines in my file. But I still need to have room important to me in my model.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
    Jeff S.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Hi All,

Hopefully there are peeps at AU checking AUGI...

So this issue has come up again. The lead is saying that we can't have duplicate information in models. So, they are asking me to delete rooms from my model. I have tested this on a detached copy of my project & I can not get room information (Name/#) from the Architectural model to populate in my Specialty Equipment Schedule. I am not convinced this is possible, so can someone please shed some light on this for me?

Thank you in advance,
    Jeff S.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

No, I don't suspect you will be able to do that. You'll need the rooms in your model.

To keep from double counting you might add a parameter to your rooms that would allow you to filter them out of the schedule.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Thank you Greg,

I was expecting this was still not possible. The issue of Double Counting is at the end of the project when we turn over our models to the contractor or the owner. Since there are duplicate objects, the CM/FM will have to figure out who's data is correct and that could be a huge headache.

Hopefully this thread will get a few more comments.

Thanks again,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Jeff, we have run into this with our interiors group using a separate file to do their furniture package. While we could not get the room names and numbers to be scheduled thru a linked file, what we did do is use the Revit MEP "AREAS" to sort of create "rooms". With areas you can link (or grab) room Name and Numbers to the AREA (this might be with a plug in, I can't remember...) and then use the AREA as a "room" for your furniture tags and schedules. We did this at a point in the project where we were pretty certain the room numbers and names would not change as the room-area link is not a live link.
    This would help with your duplication of information issue as long as it doesnt interfere with any of your MEP group using areas and linking your furniture model.
    Otherwise it is usually better to keep the furniture in the same model as the schedule...
    I might have gotten this workaround thru a AUGI post so do a search for Linking rooms thru models.

Tim

Login to Give a bone

If I read your original post right you are trying to sort specialty equipment in the schedule according to the rooms that they reside in, correct? Thus, all equipment for an operating room would group together and give you a count for that room only vs. all equipment from an exam room grouping in similar fashion. Do I read this right?

Have you tried adding a parameter to your specialty equipment category that specifies the room? This is manual, and if your rooms are not grouped could take a little while to implement, but should provide an easy solution to get your schedule to sort the way you want.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Titan,

Yes, you are reading this thread correctly. This is the situation I have found myself in.

Currently the rooms reside in both the architectural model and my Equipment Model. The project team as a whole has been directed to remove duplicate information from models. I could add a parameter to my specialty equipment families, but with over 2500 individual pieces of SE, I don't want to manage it manually. Not to mention, if we were to schedule casework or plumbing fixtures contained within my model... We're going to keep rooms in my model until the very last minute.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.
    Attached Images Attached Images