Thread: Door with no walls

Login to Give a bone

Default Door with no walls

I was just wondering if there was a way to create a door family (that will schedule the same as the rest of my doors) but one that doesn't need to be inserted into a wall. I know I can draw a wall in the same height and width as my door but I was just wondering if I can get around that by creating a specific family .

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Door with no walls

You should be able to create a Door as a non-hosted family. You might need to start with a generic model and change the category.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by belinda.66428
    I was just wondering if there was a way to create a door family (that will schedule the same as the rest of my doors) but one that doesn't need to be inserted into a wall. I know I can draw a wall in the same height and width as my door but I was just wondering if I can get around that by creating a specific family .
    You might want to try this. Create a new Wall Type called Invisible. Edit the Type Parameters and add "Invisible" to the Model parameter. Now create a Filter that applies only to walls, and filters "Model equals Invisible". Now you can go to any view where you want your floating doors, apply that Filter and turn Visibility Off. Now your doors will float in space (in that view only) but they are still attached to a wall, so you can move the wall and have a series of doors move. you might also want to create a new door family that has no trim but does have a frame like a cable hung door would need, and indeed the door family might also have the cables modeled. Unless you are going to mount the frame via bolts in the floor, then the door family might actually include a steel angle at each side or something.

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Sounds great! I'll give both of them a whirl. Thanks for the feedback!

Login to Give a bone

Definitely start with a generic family template and then change the family type to door before you start drawing your door or inserting it. It will work just like a door but not need a host, perfect for pivot doors used as room dividers or flush, floor to ceiling offset-pivots, etc.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Baros
    Definitely start with a generic family template and then change the family type to door before you start drawing your door or inserting it. It will work just like a door but not need a host, perfect for pivot doors used as room dividers or flush, floor to ceiling offset-pivots, etc.
    Yes, I was imagining doors hung from cables, which I have done before in a project. And specifically a series of doors that you might want to reorient in the space, but keep aligned to each other. For something freestanding and single, or individually placed, then this is more work than needed.

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Okay trying to get this to work but how do I change the family type of a generic family.

Login to Give a bone

All Cool I have figured it out! Thanks for the help.