See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Would you attend an AU in the UK?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 57.14%
  • No

10 11.90%
  • Likely

9 10.71%
  • Unlikely

17 20.24%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: AU in the UK

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AU in the UK

Reading through this thread brought a few things to mind.

I've been submitting ideas for Raster Design, with the idea that a corporation of that size would only give lip service. That they would say something like we'll look into it, & never hear back. After giving up on having my ideas considered, they started getting in touch to see about fine tuning the program. I'm now seeing those ideas in the program. What I'm getting at is don't give up on them.

Getting user groups together may be the way to get things going. Autodesk is more likely to hear groups than individuals, but that's anyone who deals with large numbers of people.

After getting the groups started, the presidents of the groups might have a little more clout to get things going. I know it seems like the slow way of doing things, but it's either that, or a petition or bombard them with e-mail. I figure they would appreciate & be more likely to accommodate the first of the two ideas.
    Give people a job worth doing, the tools to do it, recognition of a job well done & get out of the way.

2nd star to the right & straight on till Morning
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lmitsou
    To me personally, location doesn't really matter. I will travel anywhere in the UK to attend (that is for both AU and CAD Camps). I do have preferences (a gorgeous place i.e. called Fort William in Scotland and specifically Inverlochy Castle... ~sigh and memories coming back~ ) but anywhere in the UK is absolutely fine by me. But anyway... first thing first! Let's bring AU in the UK!!!
    That would get my vote too. It's lovely there and I would have no excuse not to go.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok
    It's my impression that Excitech are one of the better resellers.
    I would be very sceptical if an AU event was organised by a major reseller. Last time it was just a roadshow for some other software.

I could stop if I wanted to lmitsou's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertAitken
    I would be very sceptical if an AU event was organised by a major reseller. Last time it was just a roadshow for some other software.
    I do share this concern and that's why on the phone today, I made clear that they need to keep marketing and promoting stuff tactics out. I explained and described the way AUGI CAD Camp worked last June. So they do know what we need. If they didn't understand, I will explain it again. I have sent them all sort of links and info about how AU and Augi Cad Camps work. I don't think they will misunderstand. But if they do, I will make sure I explain everything again.

Thanks for the reply and for bringing this issue to the group's attention.

Login to Give a bone

I do share this concern and that's why on the phone today, I made clear that they need to keep marketing and promoting stuff tactics out. I explained and described the way AUGI CAD Camp worked last June. So they do know what we need. If they didn't understand, I will explain it again. I have sent them all sort of links and info about how AU and Augi Cad Camps work. I don't think they will misunderstand. But if they do, I will make sure I explain everything again.

Thanks for the reply and for bringing this issue to the group's attention.

I would be perfectly happy for Excitech to be involved, I have worked closely with them for about twenty years and always had good advice and service from them. I have been to many of their seminars, courses and launches, never had any complaints.

I take your point about wariness of marketing, but if it helps fund it and get things going...

As long as it is not solely one company sponsoring, then it could get hijacked, but we can always get a few tidbits from suppliers and resellers.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by carl_hd_collins
    I would be perfectly happy for Excitech to be involved, I have worked closely with them for about twenty years and always had good advice and service from them. I have been to many of their seminars, courses and launches, never had any complaints.

I take your point about wariness of marketing, but if it helps fund it and get things going...

As long as it is not solely one company sponsoring, then it could get hijacked, but we can always get a few tidbits from suppliers and resellers.
    All I am saying is that I don't think anybody wants a roadshow. Yes, a certain amount of discreet marketing is acceptable. HP was in Guildford and Mass systems. But nobody approached us directly for marketing and sales. I do agree though with what you said about funds.

Again though... first thing first. Let's get things going with Autodesk about the AU in Europe/UK. The support of a company like Excitech is going to be a very strong card in our hands and hopefully we will have it.

Login to Give a bone

All I am saying is that I don't think anybody wants a roadshow. Yes, a certain amount of discreet marketing is acceptable. HP was in Guildford and Mass systems. But nobody approached us directly for marketing and sales. I do agree though with what you said about funds.

Again though... first thing first. Let's get things going with Autodesk about the AU in Europe/UK. The support of a company like Excitech is going to be a very strong card in our hands and hopefully we will have it.

Totally agree with your para1.

Would you lke me to talk to Excitech about the (theoretical at the moment) possibility of them being an event sponsor? I do know thier chief exec quite well. If we get an approval in principle, we can use that as a card with Autodesk, as you say. There are other "cards" I could bring to the table too.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by carl_hd_collins
    Totally agree with your para1.

Would you lke me to talk to Excitech about the (theoretical at the moment) possibility of them being an event sponsor? I do know thier chief exec quite well. If we get an approval in principle, we can use that as a card with Autodesk, as you say. There are other "cards" I could bring to the table too.
    Fantastic! You are most welcome to do all the above. I have been talking to Gareth Hughes from Exchitech and he was going to raise the issue with their Marketing team and come back to me. If you have other contacts (which seems to be the case and actually they are further up the ladder!), it would be great if you could talk to them. As for the other "cards", I am sure they are most welcome too! The more, the better.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it (and I am sure, so do all our fellow AUGI members who would like to see this European/British AU becoming a reality!).

Login to Give a bone

Bear in mind that most user groups have a reseller involved so I don't think over-enthusiastic promotion would be a problem.

Login to Give a bone

Purely personal opinion...

Though I no longer live in the UK, I would love to see an AU style event held in the UK, but in reality I can not see it happening ( would love to be proved wrong on this ).

On the other hand I think a AU style event held in Europe is a lot more realistic, has a greater chance of happening at some point in the future.

The British Isles I feel could definitely handle 8 to 12 AUGI CAD Camps a year; if enough good sponsor / resellers would buy-in to the concept / idea.

Excitech could have handled the first AUGI CAD Camp, but...

Excitech are a pretty decent reseller ( company ), but...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast