See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with applying multiple Actions to a Dynamic Block

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Help with applying multiple Actions to a Dynamic Block

Hello, I'm new to the forum. i just upgraded to 2007 from 2000 this past Monday and boy do i wish i had done so sooner! the new features are great. i am trying to update my block library and add dynamic properties. i just cant seem to get the hang of it by guessing my way through it. any help would be greatly appreciated.

i have attached a photo of what i have and what actions i need to be able to perform.

the object is just a simple detail cut that i use on my storefront/curtain wall elevations (i am a glazing engineer by trade). figure A is what i want the base block to look like upon insertion. figures B though F are the different positions i need to be able to manipulate the block into. i have placed small circles at the joints i need to be able to stretch, and double circles where i need to be able to rotate. I'm not asking someone to do this for me, but a walk-through would be a huge help.
    Last edited by jim.knipe426609; 2006-11-09 at 03:32 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help with applying multiple Actions to a Dynamic Block

if you want them to have those options, and only those options you could use visibility states, but that really takes away the flexiblility that dynamic blocks allow for.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Well those states are just examples. i actually may need to stretch the thick line to 3 or 4 times the length shown in my example..it would depend on the width of the object i am slicing for a detail. i also may need to stretch the thin lines to be 10 times what they show in order to be able to place my detail mark where it wont interfere with my dimensions and still be able to reach into the elevation and slice a member. so basically i need to be able to stretch all three line segments from both ends of each line, and rotate about the double circle +/- 90 degrees.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by james.126519
    Well those states are just examples. i actually may need to stretch the thick line to 3 or 4 times the length shown in my example..it would depend on the width of the object i am slicing for a detail. i also may need to stretch the thin lines to be 10 times what they show in order to be able to place my detail mark where it wont interfere with my dimensions and still be able to reach into the elevation and slice a member. so basically i need to be able to stretch all three line segments from both ends of each line, and rotate about the double circle +/- 90 degrees.
    use a linear stretch for the horiz. line, and a polar for the cut line. check out the sharing thread list... well worth the time to explore. seriously...

and if you want some direct examples, check out the plan note and wall type symbols i've posted. they're the only 2 i can think of that will be applicable to your situation.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

OK, I have figured out how to get my detail cut block to work for me. Now, I have a new, more complicated block that I would love to get some help with. I work in the glazing industry designing aluminum storefront, curtain wall, green houses...pretty much anything to do with glass. I draw quite a few aluminum framed doors and want to make a block with all of the door options where i can just stretch a top rail to make it thicker/thinner, add a mid-rail and stretch it, etc..

I know I can do this with visibility but I dont want to have a list with hundreds of visibility settings for each circumstance.

I have attached what I want my block to look like when I insert it, and with that I have attached section views of each door frame member. I need to be able to stretch the door wider/narrower/taller/shorter, I need to be able to adjust the top and bottom rails to the different sizes shown in the section cuts, and I need to be able to make the mid-rail visible, invisible, change the size, and change the location within the door (up and down). does this sound feasible? any input would be greatly appreciated. my problem is that I dont quite know how to use the dynamic block settings yet. I've been trying to teach myself but its hard to find the time.

If someone would give me a quick overview of the commands I may need to use that would be great. Or, if you feel you could just do it faster and easier than explaining it to me, that would be fine also. Hopefully I could then dissect it and understand more about the process of creating these wonderful dynamic blocks.
    Last edited by jim.knipe426609; 2006-11-14 at 03:21 PM.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

OK, I have figured out how to get my detail cut block to work for me. Now, I have a new, more complicated block that I would love to get some help with. I work in the glazing industry designing aluminum storefront, curtain wall, green houses...pretty much anything to do with glass. I draw quite a few aluminum framed doors and want to make a block with all of the door options where i can just stretch a top rail to make it thicker/thinner, add a mid-rail and stretch it, etc..

I know I can do this with visibility but I dont want to have a list with hundreds of visibility settings for each circumstance.

I have attached what I want my block to look like when I insert it, and with that I have attached section views of each door frame member. I need to be able to stretch the door wider/narrower/taller/shorter, I need to be able to adjust the top and bottom rails to the different sizes shown in the section cuts, and I need to be able to make the mid-rail visible, invisible, change the size, and change the location within the door (up and down). does this sound feasible? any input would be greatly appreciated. my problem is that I dont quite know how to use the dynamic block settings yet. I've been trying to teach myself but its hard to find the time.

If someone would give me a quick overview of the commands I may need to use that would be great. Or, if you feel you could just do it faster and easier than explaining it to me, that would be fine also. Hopefully I could then dissect it and understand more about the process of creating these wonderful dynamic blocks.
    Have you checked out the sharing thread, there's a few examples (from myself and Chris and a few others) which do exactly what you want. Stretching a door in width, and depth. Unless it's in elevation you're referring to ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    Have you checked out the sharing thread, there's a few examples (from myself and Chris and a few others) which do exactly what you want. Stretching a door in width, and depth. Unless it's in elevation you're referring to ....
    It's actually in the elevation view that I am referring to. Sorry, i should have clarified that.
    The doors we use have so many different options and its so time consuming to draw each one individually. I love it when architects use typical doors throughout a building...but its not usually the case! im sure some of you are architects or know architects lol. no offense intended! I am a 100% function over form type of person...so i tend to clash with architects when i get a new job to draw...everyone has an opinion and the architect wins more than not haha.

anyways, thanks for the quick responses! this forum is great!!

Login to Give a bone

It's actually in the elevation view that I am referring to. Sorry, i should have clarified that.
    s'ok.

I checked out your block idea and it's pretty basic.

You'll need a main linear parameter that controls width and height with the appropriate stretch actions.

If the frame changes with height and is always consistent, then a stretch or move action with a distance multiplier may do the job well.

If, however, you need the frame to change independant of the width and height, then adding another linear parameter wherever is necessary with the appropriate move or stretch actions will do as well.

If you have set sizes, you may wish to add a lookup.

For different looks, a vis state may be necessary .....

I don't know what else ... it's not too complex a block, from what I can see. Start it out and see what yuo can get. If you get stuck, post the drawing or ask a question. we're here to help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    s'ok.

I checked out your block idea and it's pretty basic.

You'll need a main linear parameter that controls width and height with the appropriate stretch actions.

If the frame changes with height and is always consistent, then a stretch or move action with a distance multiplier may do the job well.

If, however, you need the frame to change independant of the width and height, then adding another linear parameter wherever is necessary with the appropriate move or stretch actions will do as well.

If you have set sizes, you may wish to add a lookup.

For different looks, a vis state may be necessary .....

I don't know what else ... it's not too complex a block, from what I can see. Start it out and see what yuo can get. If you get stuck, post the drawing or ask a question. we're here to help.

Well thats my problem haha. I play with the dynamic block tools but never get it to do what I want. I end up with arrows showing up on the block that when I stretch them they dont do anything, but the opposite arrow does the action. It's all very confusing to me, but I'm new at this. I had been running 2002 up until last monday so I am a bit behind in the times.

Login to Give a bone

Well thats my problem haha. I play with the dynamic block tools but never get it to do what I want. I end up with arrows showing up on the block that when I stretch them they dont do anything, but the opposite arrow does the action. It's all very confusing to me, but I'm new at this. I had been running 2002 up until last monday so I am a bit behind in the times.
    Have you taken the tour through the New Features? It's slow as molasses but it does a fantastic job of walking you through how to use the DB tools and explaining what they do. Furthermore, I think there are various DB videos and tutorials you can check out for free.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast