Thread: Demo a ceiling grid?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Demo a ceiling grid?

I have two ceiling grid demolition issues I am trying to address, and as far as I can tell, there is just no way to deal with a grid ceiling and demolition.

The first is just taking a whole area of grid to be demolished. Then a new header will go in between existing grid and the demo'd area, and a new gyp ceiling will be added. But I can't seem to demo a ceiling grid at all, nor can I split the ceiling into to areas, so I can demo one.

The second issue is probably a wishlist item. I have a bunch of existing 2X2 grid with existing 2X4 lights. I am going to remove all the existing lights, put some new ones back where the old ones where, put some new ones in new locations, and repair the grid at some locations where old lights came out. Graphically, I need to be able to show as demo the small 2' sections of grid where the new lights are going in to new locations. I also need to show as new the 2' grid sections where a light has been removed and the existing grid has been patched.

Also, even though my ceiling was inserted in a Phase Existing view, the grid still shows up black in all views. The walls are showing up right, and indeed in section the ceiling shows up right. But in the Ceiling plan it shows up black, be it a new ceiling, a demo ceiling or an existing ceiling.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Gordon

All AUGI, all the time archjake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Demo a ceiling grid?

I've been going back to the phase that the ceiling was created. Revise it so that it is split into separate ceilings. Then you can demo the one(s) (read - pieces) that you are trying to demo. Not the best approach, but it works.

If you play long enough you will see that some elements that cut a ceiling do show that the part that is cut from the family will show up as demo'd.

It would be nice if the pattern that makes up a 2x4 or 2x2 ceiling will change to a dashed pattern.

Needless to say - ceilings don't work well with the phasing tools.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by archjake
    I've been going back to the phase that the ceiling was created. Revise it so that it is split into separate ceilings. Then you can demo the one(s) (read - pieces) that you are trying to demo. Not the best approach, but it works.

If you play long enough you will see that some elements that cut a ceiling do show that the part that is cut from the family will show up as demo'd.

It would be nice if the pattern that makes up a 2x4 or 2x2 ceiling will change to a dashed pattern.

Needless to say - ceilings don't work well with the phasing tools.
    The problem is that it is very specifically the dashing of the grid that we need. The fact that is shows up right in section but not RCP is pretty lame. I will be posting this to the wishlist, as tracing the entire ceiling grid in drafting lines is both daft and the only way to get a deliverable that can be built from. Aiii!

Best,
    Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gordon.price
    The problem is that it is very specifically the dashing of the grid that we need. The fact that is shows up right in section but not RCP is pretty lame. I will be posting this to the wishlist, as tracing the entire ceiling grid in drafting lines is both daft and the only way to get a deliverable that can be built from. Aiii!

Best,
    Gordon
    Best solution I can offer (as we've run into this as well....) is to export just the grid ceilings to AutoCAD and then import the grid back into Revit as model linework on the surface of the ceiling. This can be exploded and then the linework demo'ed.

I've played with an intermediate demo phase where I can show the walls as existing, the ceiling as "new" in a demo phase an override the object style, but that yields poor background exports for consultants.

Yes it is a pita.

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Here's a demo pattern I created
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for sharing!