See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: KeyboardShortcuts.txt -- what's your strategy?

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: KeyboardShortcuts.txt -- what's your strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonWHNZ
    "ES" menu:"Tools-Element Ids-Ids of Selection"
    "EI" menu:"Tools-Element Ids-Select by Id"
    I've been using "/" for Select by ID and "?" for IDs of Selection
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Wes Macaulay; 2006-12-08 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Updated KB shortcut file attached

I could stop if I wanted to Simon.Whitbread's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Macaulay
    I've been using "/" for Select by ID and "?" for IDs of Selection
    I like it! - I'll be looking at those very closely. Now that I'm ready to roll out 9.1 (should have done ages ago I know!), maybe its time for a general update

I'm also impressed with some of the others you have. Esp. 'Close all hidden'

It's a pity, (and I guess something that could go onto the wishlist) that you can't shortcut shadows on/off.

Login to Give a bone

What a great thread!

Now that we're upgrading to 9.1 I am starting to add some of these to our shortcuts.

On the other hand, I am having a problem....For example, I have made the following:
    "A" Align
    "AR" Array
    "AG" Adv Model Graph

Then, when I restart Revit and hit A I get the Adv Model Graphics dialog. I go and comment out the "AG" line, restart and now I hit "A" and get Array. I try to hit "AR" and I get the Room tool.

Any hints?

I could stop if I wanted to dfriesen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bowlingbrad
    Then, when I restart Revit and hit A I get the Adv Model Graphics dialog. I go and comment out the "AG" line, restart and now I hit "A" and get Array. I try to hit "AR" and I get the Room tool.

Any hints?
    What do you have in the "Preferred order section" at the top of the list? Is there some conflict?

I make sure to put my most used commands in that section (and they can be two letters), then in Revit, I hit the first letter and then spacebar. That will start whatever command is the first one in the list with that letter.

Revit Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

In addition to Daniel's explanation, the shortcut list is read into Revit in order from the top of the list down. When you type the first character of a shortcut in Revit you will see the first command from the shortcut list that starts with that character displayed in the status bar. At this point you can use the arrow keys to cycle through all of the possible shortcuts beginning with this character. The space bar or the enter key will then launch the command currently displayed.

For single key shortcuts we have added them at the top of the list in the preferred order section as Daniel has already suggested. Using this workflow to launch your align command you would simply hit "A"followed by the space bar or enter key assuming you have other shortcuts that begin with the letter A. If you don't have other shortcuts that begin with the letter A the command would launch without the need to hit the space bar or enter key.

We currently limit all of our shortcuts to a maximum of two keys. Single key shortcuts are placed at the top of the list followed by priority two key shortcuts and then the rest of the list. If you decide to add any three key shortcuts it works the same way. You would want to place the two key commands that start with the same two key combination as your three key shortcuts higher on the list so it could be launched by typing the two keys and hitting the space bar or enter key.

I could stop if I wanted to rmejia's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: KeyboardShortcuts.txt -- what's your strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Andersen
    With regards to one-key commands, we chose to set up our snaps this way since shortcuts starting with S are quite valuable for other commands.
    Great tip. I liked using the big old space bar in autocad. One key then spacebar is easy and fast, just what I was looking for to speed up my workflow. Can't believe I didn't try it before. Now I'm pressing every letter and then spacebar to see what happens and then making the appropiate changes...!
    Last edited by rmejia; 2006-12-15 at 12:58 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the arrow key tip!

I just dove into Wes' txt file and found that he is barely using any single letter shortcuts. I think I found "Q" for properties. I'm going to try his and see how it behaves.

Thanks,
    Brad

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Downloaded the WM shortcuts file and have been using it for a day now. This is brilliant. Leaves my paltry efforts for dead. Love the orientation shortcuts - 51, 52, 53, etc.

Thank you.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bowlingbrad
    Thanks for the arrow key tip!

I just dove into Wes' txt file and found that he is barely using any single letter shortcuts. I think I found "Q" for properties. I'm going to try his and see how it behaves.
    That's true -- if you really want to make single-key shortcuts work, you can't have any other shortcut that starts with that letter, or you'll be hitting the spacebar, something I've been trying to avoid.

But I still have some anyway:

X for Dynamic View toggling when using a laptop
    1 for close hidden windows
    4 for Wireframe
    5 for Hidden Line
    6 for Shading with Edges
    Q for Properties (think "Query")
    ` for View Properties
    [ for Pin Position
    ] for Unpin Position
    / for Select by ID
    ? for IDs of Selection (not really a one key shortcut! But close since Shift is right there)

I should probably watch for more commands I do use all the time for which I could find a one-key combination.

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Here's our file, I took some of the ideas here and added alot of my own, I tried really hard to keep it from being cryptic, most of the commands make alot of sense logically so they are much easier for the end user to rememeber (what good is a really fast command if the user can't remember what it is?) I have over 200 commands mapped so it is fairly comprehensive...have fun
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast