See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Text orientation

Login to Give a bone

Default Text orientation

I'm not sure where I learned it cause it was so long ago but it is standard drafting practice to have text read from the bottom or right side of the sheet. Everyone I have talked to is in agreement on this.

However, there is a rather large discrepancy in opinions as to what angle past 90 degrees you should rotate the text. As a matter of fact we are having somewhat of an internal argument on this subject. I have checked a few drafting books but could not even find anything that said text should read from the bottom or right let alone at what angle you should rotate the text.

I have attached a PDF file that shows what I am talking about. The text in the example is all reading from the right and starts to look upside down the further the angle gets from 90.

With that said, I am looking for two things:

People's opinions on what angle you should rotate the text.

And more importantly industry standards for this angle. I am hoping someone may have an old drafting book that documents an angle. If you do have some documentation, a reference to the book or a PDF copy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just noticed the PDF is rotated 180. You will need to rotate it in the viewer to see it correctly.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jpaulsen; 2006-11-17 at 07:02 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Text orientation

I moved this thread to the cad standards forum, as this is not a general cad issue, i.e. commands, etc.
    Last edited by Ed Jobe; 2006-11-17 at 12:03 AM.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

If I understand what you are asking... I don't think that there is an industry standard for when you should rotate the text. I work for a surveyor and i deal with situation all the time. Others in this field, as well as myself usually try to rotate the text whenever it is noticeable that the line is not straight up and down.

I agree that the text should be read from the bottom and to the right. That's how I was taught. I'll keep looking for a book or refeerence or something. Good luck with your search.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen
    I'm not sure where I learned it cause it was so long ago but it is standard drafting practice to have text read from the bottom or right side of the sheet. Everyone I have talked to is in agreement on this.

However, there is a rather large discrepancy in opinions as to what angle past 90 degrees you should rotate the text. As a matter of fact we are having somewhat of an internal argument on this subject. I have checked a few drafting books but could not even find anything that said text should read from the bottom or right let alone at what angle you should rotate the text.

I have attached a PDF file that shows what I am talking about. The text in the example is all reading from the right and starts to look upside down the further the angle gets from 90.

With that said, I am looking for two things:

People's opinions on what angle you should rotate the text.

And more importantly industry standards for this angle. I am hoping someone may have an old drafting book that documents an angle. If you do have some documentation, a reference to the book or a PDF copy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just noticed the PDF is rotated 180. You will need to rotate it in the viewer to see it correctly.
    I would like to comment on this. In my experience, in college and in the field, the accepted method of reading text should be the opposite of what you're showing. We tend to read from left to right. Think about this for a moment. If you have a set of drawings that you're going through. The "natural" tendancy is to turn your head to the left and move your body slightly to the right to interpret the drawing. Not the other way around. It's, in a way uncomfortable and inconvienent, with the way that the drawings themselves are produced due to the size of the sheets and of course what side they're bound on(the left, of course). Just putting in my 2 cents.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cwjean76
    I would like to comment on this. In my experience, in college and in the field, the accepted method of reading text should be the opposite of what you're showing. We tend to read from left to right. Think about this for a moment. If you have a set of drawings that you're going through. The "natural" tendancy is to turn your head to the left and move your body slightly to the right to interpret the drawing. Not the other way around. It's, in a way uncomfortable and inconvienent, with the way that the drawings themselves are produced due to the size of the sheets and of course what side they're bound on(the left, of course). Just putting in my 2 cents.
    Same here, top to bottom and left to right. This is also what the Acad command 'TORIENT' defaults to when choosing the option of most readable.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cwjean76

You're actually saying the same thing as Jeff, not arguing with him.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok
    You're actually saying the same thing as Jeff, not arguing with him.
    Yeah, okay. Its just the from bottom and from right that confuses me. But admittedly I am very easily confused

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I would have to check but I think our Australian Standards cover this for us.

By sticking to this then your example is correct except this first one at 90 degrees, that would have the text rotated 180 degrees. However, I seem to remember a clause in the standard about readability which would suggest the first (leftmost) example would then be correct as it is readable in the context of the sheet ie. following the arrow..

Having now said it is good both ways, I think architectural drawings are a cross between technical drawings and art which is why the old time drafties had 'artistic licence'....something CAD has belted out of us to a certain extent. Really, to me, it gets to readability and not to a dedicated formula of 'when this happens, do this'?

I realise this doesn't help you in your quest for a documented standard, but I though this was something that was loosely documented already and so does not have a definite answer. I believe our national drafting standard supports this. I would suspect the British Standard to have something similar (only because we Aussies are too lazy to work something out for ourselves so we usually borrow [steal] from others - generally the mother country.

So to directly answer the questions:
    1. Angle is determined by readability which is governed by reading from the bottom or the righthand side.
    2. The standards as I understand them to be support answer number 1 above -but with exceptions
    Vague isn't it. And, having said that, I would also bow to anyone who has a really good rationale behind a set formula.

Regards,
    Rob

Login to Give a bone

FWIW, BS308 Part 1 section 7.4 says -
    "Orientation of lettering.
    When a landscape format drawing sheet is used with the title block at the bottom right-hand corner, notes should be lettered parallel to the long side of the sheet. When a landscape format drawing sheet is used in portrait position, the title block should appear at the left-hand side and notes should be lettered perpendicular to the long side of the sheet."

So, notes should be read horizontally, left to right - no surprise there.

Also, BS308 Part 2 section 5.3.1 says -
    "Arrangement of dimensions, general.
    Dimensions should be arranged so that the direction of reading is from the bottom of the drawing or from the right-hand side of the drawing, as shown in figures 15 and 16. Dimesions should preferably be placed outside the zones shown hatched in figure 15."

Looking at figure 15 (below) it is obviously intended that this question should be avoided.
    So, no help there but at least it's an "official" no help.

(BTW, figure 16 relates to angular dimensions so is no help either.)
    Last edited by jaberwok; 2010-08-31 at 10:28 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok
    FWIW, BS308 Part 1 section 7.4 says -
    Except BS308 (which I was born and raised on) is withdrawn....

BS EN ISO 2162-1 takes over, but I have not got a copy of that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast