Thread: Looking for a product to view, print & measure DWG files, preferable from Autodesk

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Looking for a product to view, print & measure DWG files, preferable from Autodesk

Hello,

I have a group of engineers who desperately need a product that will open a DWG file and allow the user to view, print and measure. That's all. They do not need to do anymore than that.

Does Autodesk sell some type of viewer that's a step up from free DWG TrueView?

What do others use for their view, print & measure needs?

My first choice is to buy from Autodesk but if that's not possible can anyone recommend a good 3rd party viewer that will allow measuring?

Thank you,
    Steve

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Looking for a product to view, print & measure DWG files, preferable from Autodesk

Hi Steve

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the CAD Mgmt. General forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Looking for a product to view, print & measure DWG files, preferable from Autodesk

Hi

Have you looked at Autodesk Design Review ?

Have a good one, Mike

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Looking for a product to view, print & measure DWG files, preferable from Autodesk

Hello Mike,

I did look at Autodesk Design Review but it is not what I'm looking for.
    In ADR you can open a DWG directly with DWG Trueview but you have to
    process it into a DWF in order to do any measuring in it. I don't want that.

I need a program that than can view, print and measure in DWG files and it looks
    like my only option is to go 3rd party. Has the AUGI ever done a survey on 3rd party
    DWG viewers? I'd be interested in learning which viewers are the most widely used
    and why.

Regards,
    Steve

Login to Give a bone

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by steven.a.chestnut
    I did look at Autodesk Design Review but it is not what I'm looking for.
    In ADR you can open a DWG directly with DWG Trueview but you have to
    process it into a DWF in order to do any measuring in it. I don't want that.
    The below comes from blog post "3D DWG results in 2D DWF via Import or Drag and Drop

Now Autodesk Design Review 2007 (new name for Autodesk DWF Composer) allows a user to import a DWG. Autodesk Design Review 2007 converts the DWG to DWF on the fly by invoking Autodesk DWG TrueView 2007 on behalf of the user. The resulting DWF file is automatically loaded into Autodesk Design Review 2007 for markup and/or measurement.
    Therefore will Design Review 2007 not work for you...

Quote Originally Posted by steven.a.chestnut
    I need a program that than can view, print and measure in DWG files and it looks
    like my only option is to go 3rd party. Has the AUGI ever done a survey on 3rd party
    DWG viewers? I'd be interested in learning which viewers are the most widely used
    and why.
    Pass.

But I would seriously recommend you take a look at...

DWF Viewer Beta Testing Opportunity

Have a good one, Mike

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Mike,

Thanks for the info but we're just not interested in DWFs.
    I'll find something else.

Regards,
    Steve

I could stop if I wanted to johan d's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

@ steven:

If you find something suitable, please let us know. I think a lot people don't like the idea to plot to a DWf first (Time consuming)

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Looking for a product to view, print & measure DWG files, preferable from Autodesk

Quote Originally Posted by johan d
    @ steven:

If you find something suitable, please let us know. I think a lot people don't like the idea to plot to a DWf first (Time consuming)
    Hi Johan,
    Check out this discussion over on the Autodesk discussion group for 2, or perhaps 3, useful suggestions of 3rd party applications.