See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AutoCAD 2007 LT - Image support.

Login to Give a bone

Question AutoCAD 2007 LT - Image support.

Hello guys 'n gals,
    I'm not to sure if this question has been asked/answered already.
    Anyway I couldn't find it witha quick forum search. ~Shrug, here goes~
    I've just forked out for LT 2007and mentioned to my retailer that I was hoping to get Slingshot Max straight away to enhance this cutdown version of AutoCAD. One gets used to working with images in drawings with years of 2004 & 2006 draughting. What we were wondering was: is this software accepted by AutoDesk? I mean, I don't want to pay xx€ for something which messes around with LT in a way which will invalidate my new licence?
    If Slingshot is legit, can someone tell us exactly which software has Autodesk warned people off. (German software, I'm told ) Ring a bell, anybody?

I would like to get my facts straight before posting the above link Frenchside, that's all.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by CGM; 2006-11-23 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Oooh, features page is much more informative. |-)

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2007 LT - Image support.

Hi Conor.
    As I understand (probably wrongly, certainly incompletely) a month ago adesk claimed to have no intention of pursuing the ODA or its members in the courts (MCAD magazine interview with Carl Bass). Now the situation is as we have seen. The problem seems (to me) to be the mechanism that allows acad to announce "This file is a Trusted DWG last saved by an Autodesk application or Autodesk licensed application." Obviously adesk are not going to allow any other organisation to make that statement - otherwise why bother to include it in the first place?
    Anyway, adesk's court action is aimed at the ODA - not (currently) at the companies that use their libraries. I'd guess that you can't separate the different toolkit vendors at the moment - they all either sink or swim depending on the result of the court case.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: AutoCAD 2007 LT - Image support.

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok
    (MCAD magazine interview with Carl Bass)...
    Hi John,
    I have quickly read the interview, Part 1, but it doesn't throw all much light on my add-on query. (Maybe I missed something)
    I should be holding off on buying the damn thing for now? ...till the New Year at least, perhaps it will come out in the wash by that time, eh?
    Thanks though at least it answers one part of my question, about which company got flak.

Login to Give a bone

I'm not so sure.
    Say adesk get an injunction against ODA and their members - they can't realistically expect all past purchasers of their (ODA members) software to give up software they've already paid for - can they?

I think I'd be inclined to go ahead and buy. ~shrugs~ my £0.02 worth.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais
    .... (German software, I'm told ) Ring a bell, anybody?
    The German software I am aware of is called LT-Extender (if I am not mistaken it is German. I am using it by the way). And LT-Extender is part of a similar program (only it has more options and features) called Toolbox LT from Globalcad. As far as I know, the companies developing these programs are quite confident and claim they are legal and say that Autodesk can't do anything against them or the users.

The decision though is yours and yours alone (so was mine and I decided to buy the program)

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: AutoCAD 2007 LT - Image support.

Hi Conor

Are you thinking of...

upFront.eZine - Issue #359 - 28 October 2003 - Autodesk Sues LT-Extender

Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    ... Autodesk Sues LT-Extender

Mike
    That's the one Mike,
    Quote Originally Posted by upfrontezine
    Autodesk said its complaint is against companies who are "redistributing Autodesk proprietary files, copying AutoCAD files to their machines deploying AutoCAD LT, [and] modifying protected Autodesk code."
    Where does this leave my Slingshot, are they too modifying protected Autodesk code, by allowing images inside LT when AutoDesk have intentionally disabled that command in the cut-down ('n therefore cheaper) version of Autocad.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: AutoCAD 2007 LT - Image support.

I'm not so sure.
    Say adesk get an injunction against ODA and their members - they can't realistically expect all past purchasers of their (ODA members) software to give up software they've already paid for - can they?

I think I'd be inclined to go ahead and buy. ~shrugs~ my £0.02 worth.
    Hi John,
    I don't know either; they might be able to say that my LT license does not allow for printing out drawings with images attached. A thousand quid is a fair investment for me right now, I want to be sure it will do what I set out to do, that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno6919
    The decision though is yours and yours alone (so was mine and I decided to buy the program)
    That said I think I will personally go ahead and buy; but I do feel uncomfortable giving the "go ahead" to other French users, on a subject where I honestly don't know the in's and out's of it all.

So the question still stands, does Slingshot meet with Autodesk approval or not?

Cheers!
    Last edited by CGM; 2006-11-24 at 11:29 AM. Reason: My question still stands!

Login to Give a bone

I don't think there is a simple answer that applies to all the developers of LT add-ons. They probably don't all use the same methods to circumvent adesk's marketing-led nonsense that is LT.
    Compare LT to full acad - it's like an electrical control panel with a few of the switches and lots of internal wiring missing. Nearly all the full product code is still there but the links between the working code and the user interface have been disabled. LT is not a cheaply developed product - it is (almost) the full product that has had parts removed to "justify" selling at a lower price.
    For example, the solid modeling core is still there but there are no tools to allow you to interact with it. The methods used to replace those missing tools may or may not infringe adesk's rights.

Login to Give a bone

I don't think there is a simple answer that applies to all the developers of LT add-ons. They probably don't all use the same methods to circumvent adesk's marketing-led nonsense that is LT.
    Compare LT to full acad - it's like an electrical control panel with a few of the switches and lots of internal wiring missing. Nearly all the full product code is still there but the links between the working code and the user interface have been disabled. LT is not a cheaply developed product - it is (almost) the full product that has had parts removed to "justify" selling at a lower price.
    For example, the solid modeling core is still there but there are no tools to allow you to interact with it. The methods used to replace those missing tools may or may not infringe adesk's rights.
    Hi John,
    I do agree with you. I bought it so that I can sell my work over the next 5 or 6 months then as soon as I can justify it I'll be forking out on a new machine plus REVIT Systems. (Ouch, hurts already that bill!) I would still appreciate some official word from the powers that be on the Slingshot issue/non-issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast