Thread: Nested Family Parameter Greyed Out

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Nested Family Parameter Greyed Out

I have nested 2 types of hardware into a base cabinet family with 2 doors on the bottom and 1 drawer above. The default hardware is a knob and the other is a pull.

The knob family, which is symmetrical about it's Z-axis, is created with it's model centered on its origin.

The knobs are placed into the cabinet family, centered on the drawer and 2" off the top and 2" off the "inside" edge of the doors. 3 knobs total.

The pull family is created with it's model centered on the origin, but It includes an instance "offset" dimension parameter because when swapped for the knobs it needs to be centered on the door, but offset from it's origin on the doors, otherwise it would partially be off the edge of the door.

The pull family offset parameter works wonderfully in the cabinet family, but is greyed out when the cabinet family is loaded into a project. The hardware is easily swapped in a project but the pulls, while centered on the drawer, are off the edge of the doors.

Is there any way to make the pulls offset parameter available in a project?

All AUGI, all the time robert.manna's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Nested Family Parameter Greyed Out

Type parameters become un-available when the family is set to be shared and then nested. I would suggust adding a referenece plane(s) and offset parameter(s) to the door family to control where the hardware is located, thus eliminating the need for offset parameters in the hardware families.

HTH,
    -R

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Nested Family Parameter Greyed Out

Quote Originally Posted by robert.manna
    Type parameters become un-available when the family is set to be shared and then nested. I would suggust adding a referenece plane(s) and offset parameter(s) to the door family to control where the hardware is located, thus eliminating the need for offset parameters in the hardware families.

HTH,
    -R
    Yes, that works. Thanks.