See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: New large format Plotter/Copier, should we pay extra and get scan to file capability

Login to Give a bone

Question New large format Plotter/Copier, should we pay extra and get scan to file capability

Howdy All,

The company has decided to spring for a new large format plotter / copier. (Hooray!)

Should we spend the extra $$ for the scan to file option?

Does anybody use this?

Is it helpful?

Can you use scanned drawings in AutoCAD?

Do you have to have extra software to do this?

Thanks,
    David

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New large format Plotter/Copier, should we pay extra and get scan to file capability

David, the company I work for just upgraded to a KIP 5000 w/ the scanner option. We basically are paying the same amount that we were paying on an 8 year old OCE w/ service. I would definately recommend the scanner option. We, before scanner, only had the option to scan to 11x17 for redlines, as-builts, etc. But now, we can scan to large format in B&W and Color. The scanner will convert to PDF, DWF, TIF. It is great and you can insert DWF and TFF files into cad. The only software that was installed was free w/ the printer. We installed 50+ seats of it. The benefits of a large format scanner have spread to our designers as well as us architects.

Go for the KIP!!!

Marc

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New large format Plotter/Copier, should we pay extra and get scan to file capability

Hi David

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the CAD Mgmt. General forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hi, David

We use the Xerox 510 and have the scan-to-file option. We use it all the time. We use it for enlarging (or shrinking) drawings to actual size for overlay work within AutoCAD. We do a good bit of field surveying of existing buildings and it makes a convenient way of keeping our notes organized and accessible without having to rifle through a stack of paper every time you need to look at the field data. I just attach the image to my drawing while I need it then detach it when I'm done.

To answer your question, Yes it is definitely worth it.

Tom

Login to Give a bone

Not only that, with the scanning options usally come the ability to save as a pdf. Our Cannon includes the ability to save as a file or email the pdf. Saves a lot of time.
    C:> ED WORKING....

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

We use a HP800ps with the scanner. We use the scanner on a daily basis, be it for scanning 3rd party drawings for records or scanning our hand drawn info and insert into CAD. The scan to pdf is invaluable if you need to store older hand drawn drawings.

Generally the scanners scan to a file format, be it jpeg, tif etc, so you don't need any additional software unless you want to edit the images later and to do this we use photshop.

Director of Operations David Harrington's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

A few years back we got a Xerox 510. And then over time added the scan to file and then scan to PDF. Then we added the scan read color (enables it to see color, generating gray). And this year hoping to add scan to color.

All this means is try and get all the features at the beginning, rather than begging for upgrades later!
    Take care,
    David Harrington
    AUGI Director of Operations

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: New large format Plotter/Copier, should we pay extra and get scan to file capability

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.Sanderson(UK)
    We use a HP800ps with the scanner. We use the scanner on a daily basis, be it for scanning 3rd party drawings for records or scanning our hand drawn info and insert into CAD. The scan to pdf is invaluable if you need to store older hand drawn drawings.

Generally the scanners scan to a file format, be it jpeg, tif etc, so you don't need any additional software unless you want to edit the images later and to do this we use photshop.
    I use the scan to pdf on this machine constantly. The best thing about going for the scanner over the copier is that we chose the color option. My facility archives date back to 1912... so, the markups, highlights, etc that the mechanics and engineers over the years have noted is too valuable, and are normally not readable on our copy machine.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

We recently got a Ricoh Aficio 240W with scanner ability. It's invaluable as far as me and our company is concerned. We're in the process of archiving older drawings which were hand drafted--a daunting task but well worth it.

Login to Give a bone

We use the Oce TDS600 Print system with scanner. We have had it for a while now. Yes the scanning could become useful. We now have clients that we must scan sealed/signed drawings. plus we have already printed 600,000 sq ft (approx. 100,000) d-size prints with minimal repairs. Just some maintenance cleanings.