See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can too many people surfing the internet slowdown programs that rely on the LAN

I could stop if I wanted to jgratton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Can too many people surfing the internet slowdown programs that rely on the LAN

I am constantly getting drafters complaining about their slow drafting apps. I suspect they have compromised their systems with too much surfing! Not that there's anything wrong with that, but IT will slap them down soon if they don't clean up their acts.

Here's the question, apart from hardware issues and too many applications running and all that stuff I know about, can it be said that too many people on the internet can slow down apps that have to look at the servers?

In otherwords, what can slow down a file...open....(search network) type activity? I want to put this in language that everyone will understand.

Forgive me from posting here, since it's not a cad issue, I didn't know where else to go.

I could stop if I wanted to Sammie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can too many people surfing the internet slowdown programs that rely on the LAN

Quote Originally Posted by jgratton
    I am constantly getting drafters complaining about their slow drafting apps. I suspect they have compromised their systems with too much surfing! Not that there's anything wrong with that, but IT will slap them down soon if they don't clean up their acts.

Here's the question, apart from hardware issues and too many applications running and all that stuff I know about, can it be said that too many people on the internet can slow down apps that have to look at the servers?

In otherwords, what can slow down a file...open....(search network) type activity? I want to put this in language that everyone will understand.

Forgive me from posting here, since it's not a cad issue, I didn't know where else to go.
    My compuet runs EXTREMELY slow on CAD applications. I've had IT tell me because of the huge files I work with, and the fact that some are linked to the server, it bogs everything down. Do the drafters work exclusively on drawings from the server?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can too many people surfing the internet slowdown programs that rely on the LAN

Yes, I think in the past there may have been issues caused by their slowness to apply the latest 2005 patch. But now I think maybe there are too many temp files, etc. Has anyone had any luck with Disk Cleanup. I tried running it on my puter and it did not seem to remove anything.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Can too many people surfing the internet slowdown programs that rely on the LAN

Yes, I think in the past there may have been issues caused by their slowness to apply the latest 2005 patch. But now I think maybe there are too many temp files, etc. Has anyone had any luck with Disk Cleanup. I tried running it on my puter and it did not seem to remove anything.
    Hi jgratton,

I had this problem in the past. The source of the problem was CAD draughtsmen downloading videos of the latest films to watch at home during the weekend. (Dishonest I know, ~shrug~, I can only tell management, I can't actually make them do anything about it.) What was slowing everything down was this fella, this software hoovers up the bandwidth. It shows up as a little icon on their task-bars when they're running it.

I do hope this is not the source of your problem, but it might still be worth getting IT to eliminate it from the list of possible causes. Just a thought.

Login to Give a bone

One thing that helped our situation here was going to 1000mb (Gb) and consolidating various hubs/switches that were spread all over to a couple of really good stackable switches. It required me to run a couple thousand feet of wire (I still cough and hack even thinking about crawling around in the suspended ceiling), and install several network cards, but the improvement was astounding.

Login to Give a bone

I always use startup.exe on computers I use. People have so many unneeded apps running at startup, it's amazing. Even new Dells have a pile.

For networks, also watch out for bittorrent clients. They can use all the bandwidth you've got, I reckon.

Make sure your AV apps are ignoring your CAD files, too (IMO).

Login to Give a bone

Corp changed our server fairly recently. It has a slower response time than the one we were using. They insist it's better. To regain working speed, I now have to check the drawing out of the server file & save it to my hard drive & work locally. This is a major deal when working with image files.
    Give people a job worth doing, the tools to do it, recognition of a job well done & get out of the way.

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

AutoCAD doesn't work directly with the drawing files anyway - it works with temporary copies on your C drive. This is NOT true of image files, though, and a slow network can hurt you - and rasters can be huge files. We have a separate server and switch for GIS/CAD files and users - that helps a lot.

Streaming audio/video can hit your network pretty hard. Come down like thunder on anybody who is YouTubing or listening to netradio.

Check the settings for your virus scanner - if it checks all files at each access, it's killing your productivity. Clean up temp folders, make sure there is 10G or so of clear space on your boot drive, and don't have a lot of CTB/STB files in your plot style folder (accessed every time you clikkfirst an object).

Login to Give a bone

Well whatdaya know? Someone moved and changed the thread name! Thanks, I guess. Got me a few great answers. Prepares me for that looming discussion with IT.

Being a 3d shop, we do all have 1GB min RAM, so no problem there.

bittorrent clients? AV apps? no idea what your talking about there - will have to do some research....

Streaming audio/video - I am having trouble finding an article from a reliable source - I need proof to back this up. As of now we have NO restrictions here and over 500 employees.

I did not realize AutoCAD works with temporary copies on local drive. I have a dual boot - 2000 AND XP, so double the fun!.

Virus scanning is IT territory - losing files due to a worm kills productivity too.

By temp folders, do you mean EVERYTHING (files, folders) below C:\Documents and Settings\ Username|Local Settings\Temp?

What do you mean by ...CTB/STB files ...accessed every time you clikkfirst an object? Is clickfirst a setting? How would plot styles affect anything other than plot command?

Login to Give a bone

Being a 3d shop, we do all have 1GB min RAM, so no problem there.
    3d files can get pretty big without alot of effor, if they are being saved and worked on over a network it can easily kill your system.

bittorrent clients? AV apps? no idea what your talking about there - will have to do some research....
    bittorrent is a way of downloading files using peer to peer sharing, without having the cumbersome, bulky interfaces of emule, napster et al.

AV is anti-virus software. norton and mcaffee are two pretty common apps - imo there are much better solutions available that take up alot less system resources.

Streaming audio/video - I am having trouble finding an article from a reliable source - I need proof to back this up. As of now we have NO restrictions here and over 500 employees.
    streaming media is another huge bandwith hog. audio and video files are usually large files, which means inorder to deliever content without alot of studdering there is alot of data being pushed quickly. things to look for - youtube, myspace (i know myspace doesnt inherently have streaming, but people *love* to put junk on their pages that streams,) google video, last.fm, pandora. if you have 500 employees and no restrictions - you should look into some sort of guidelines.

By temp folders, do you mean EVERYTHING (files, folders) below C:\Documents and Settings\ Username|Local Settings\Temp?
    in the start menu, Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup
    this utility will get rid of alot of the junk that accumulates as temporary save files, internet cache, installer junk.

running a spyware removal tool will also help clean up alot of junk that ends up on a computer just through general surfing.

What do you mean by ...CTB/STB files ...accessed every time you clikkfirst an object? Is clickfirst a setting? How would plot styles affect anything other than plot command?
    CTB / STB are plot style files for autocad (they control lineweights when plotting.) CTB are color based, STB are style based. not sure about clickfirst.
    Last edited by .chad; 2006-12-13 at 03:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast