See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can too many people surfing the internet slowdown programs that rely on the LAN

I could stop if I wanted to jgratton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can too many people surfing the internet slowdown programs that rely on the LAN

Disk Cleanup doesn't seem to do the job. I checked everything and there's still stuff in the temp folders, each one, not only my own user profile.

That's why I asked if I could safely delete anything inside the temp folder, provided I am not running any other apps but explorer.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can too many people surfing the internet slowdown programs that rely on the LAN

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_C
    streaming media is another huge bandwith hog. audio and video files are usually large files, which means inorder to deliever content without alot of studdering there is alot of data being pushed quickly. things to look for - youtube, myspace (i know myspace doesnt inherently have streaming, but people *love* to put **** on their pages that streams,) google video, last.fm, pandora. if you have 500 employees and no restrictions - you should look into some sort of guidelines.
    Thanks for your reconmmendation , and I'm sure they are all valid points, but our IT dept may not be willing to trust the word of a man who is looking for cannibal recipes.

If anyone can lay their hands on the definitive link on the subject (You know, from Microsoft or Big Blue or some other non-cannibal source. I'd be grateful. In my own searches, I got the impression that it's bad for business for them to own up to performance issues.

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jgratton
    Virus scanning is IT territory - losing files due to a worm kills productivity too.

By temp folders, do you mean EVERYTHING (files, folders) below C:\Documents and Settings\ Username|Local Settings\Temp?

What do you mean by ...CTB/STB files ...accessed every time you clikkfirst an object? Is clickfirst a setting? How would plot styles affect anything other than plot command?
    What if the virus scan checks the same file a couple hundred times a day? Scanning applications, emails, and word/excel docs should be enough.

I set AutoCAD to use a different folder for its temporary files - just plain C:\temp. It makes it easier to find after a crash. It also makes it easier to clean out the other temp folder - anything older than a couple days should be fair game. Windows alone will put hundreds of files there in a couple months.

The other part I learned by accident. Clickfirst IS a setting - click the object BEFORE you give a command. So, with no command active, you click the object first - and AutoCAD then looks up the object's properties for the properties toolbars and dialog, including accessing the plot style. We used to have about 150 CTBs in the folder, and every time you clicked, even on a simple line, there was a delay of several seconds. It grew to about 10 seconds - not much, until it happens a couple hundred times in a day. Flushed out the folder down to 10-15 and the delay went away. I hate CTBs anyway...

Login to Give a bone

I think maybe you mean PICKFIRST, I don't have a CLICKFIRST setvar. And it is by default set to 1. I think people would really get upset if I took that away, besides we run lots of 3rd party apps that would set it to suit their programs anyway. It is an interesting thing to consider...

I still haven't heard if I can manually delete all that stuff in the temp folders that disk cleanup is not deleting.

Login to Give a bone

<SNIP>

I still haven't heard if I can manually delete all that stuff in the temp folders that disk cleanup is not deleting.
    Hi

Yep! delete anyway.

I personally clear that directory / folder ( as part of my basic weekly PC housekeeping ) on my PC once a week... you can ask my MBH how truly anal-retentive I am about such things...

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

Yep! delete anyway.

I personally clear that directory / folder ( as part of my basic weekly PC housekeeping ) on my PC once a week... you can ask my MBH how truly anal-retentive I am about such things...

Have a good one, Mike
    I will now that you've given me the go ahead. Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

I will now that you've given me the go ahead. Thanks!
    Hi Janet

No worries...

HERE'S a little bit more information on the subject.

Mike

Login to Give a bone

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but IT will slap them down soon if they don't clean up their acts..
    Ask IT to allocate them a specific portion of the network bandwidth for downloading their videos, and not congest the network, and everybody will be happy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12