Thread: Creating Symbols for Families

Login to Give a bone

Default Creating Symbols for Families

Hello,

I work for an M/E firm. We use both Microstation and Auto CAD for our 2D projects. We have also used the Microstation 3D BIM for several large projects in the last year. We are now getting acquainted with Revit Systems for both M and E.

Getting our feet wet in Revit is going OK....totally different from Microstation. In Microstation we had to create ALOT of new symbols (2D and 3D representations) for our electrical sheets and add them to our library. I need to do the same in Revit as the 'families' for lighting and power are very sparse.

For example, we have symbols for 2x4 and 2x2 recessed lights. I need symbols for downlighting, strip lighting, exit lighting, etc.

I also need many symbols for power, such as special purpose receptacles. Also, I do not see ANY symbols or families for Systems.....Speakers, Horn/Strobes, etc. I will need to create families for all of these.

Can anyone point me in a direction where I can better understand how to do this? Are there 'families' out there that I can download?

I have been through the tutorials and have not really found anything that relates to this....or maybe I just didn't recognize it.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating Symbols for Families

Unfortunately, the product is so new that there is minimal content available. And what is available isn't fully utilized. Our firm is creating all new content internally since the out-of-box content doesn't have all of the intelligence that we are looking for. I'm looking at the supplied content for a starting point, but then starting our families from scratch. For instance, the mechanical rooftop family has supply and return airflow connections, but no electrical connection and no electrical parameters. That is unacceptable since it doesn't fully utilize the coordination aspect of the program. Also, the parameters that are included aren't complete enough to properly schedule the mechanical equipment. So while there is some provided content, it isn't complete enough to use.

As far as systems content (speakers, horns, cable tray, etc.) there is none that I've found. Hopefully Autodesk is adding that tab in version 3 as they did for plumbing in version 2. That being said, plumbing is no where near complete, so the systems people will be waiting for a while.

Documentation is not one of Revit's strengths. I've learned more from trial and error than I did with the tutorials. I also found that going through the Revit Building tutorials helped with basic techniques. Although the tutorials are architectural based, the same concepts can be used with all of the Revit products.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but everyone is in the same boat here. The product is just too new, but the potential is enormous.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating Symbols for Families

Creating the content is actually pretty simple. Revit families contain 3 major pieces.

1. 3D geometry. This is not necessary if the item does not need to show anything in 3D Receptacles and such probably do not need 3D geometry. If you need 3D geometry you should control how it displays using the visibility control. Keep your 3D geometry simple and restrained.
    2. 2D Symbolic geometry. These are the symbolic lines that represent the object symbol and can be any shape or size. You can draw them in both plan and elevation independent of the 3D geometry, or attached to the 3D geometry your choice.
    3. Parameters. This is the data attached to the family. These can be informational or controlling of the geometry. You can control the length width height etc. You can also specify CFM BTU GPM Model etc. Parameters can be instance or type which controls how they are selected. If you make all the parameters instance each object will have to be manually changed for each parameter. Type can be set for each type and will change as a group. It is best to have a mixture of both for usability.

It is also quick and easy to change existing similar families. We changed the T connector in systems to a gate valve and ball valve. It connects to the pipe really well and has the parameters the ME needs to schedule. No calculations yet but it is coming.

For you HVAC EQ add the electrical connectors to the family, should take a couple of minutes and you will have the coordination on its way.

One other thing, you can add nested families to combine mechanical and electrical items. For instance add a disconnect or starter to a mechanical unit. It should already have the connector you need as well as the parameters.

Attached is an example showing mechanical with an electrical connection
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cphubb; 2006-12-14 at 03:41 AM.