See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Running CAD on Intel based Macs

Login to Give a bone

Default Running CAD on Intel based Macs

Does anyone know how cad runs on intel based macs that can run windows. We are planning to upgrade our systems soon and my workplace runs on macs and would like to get the few pc's we have switched over if possible.

thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Running CAD on Intel based Macs

So far, I've heard that AutoCAD runs fine on the new Intel Macs under Boot Camp. I don't know how Parallels desktop works with AutoCAD, but I imagine it's slower.

I would increase the amount of RAM to 2GB in your new Macs, but other than that, I say go for it! PC World magazine published an article online a few weeks ago saying that the new Intel Core 2 Duo Macs were better Windows workstations than a lot of purpose-built Windows PC's. I think that's great.

You can do all the business and graphics stuff on the Mac side including email without worrying about viruses, and then you can boot into Windows and do AutoCAD. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

There are a few threads that explain this and how well it works...I read a post that an Autodesk Employee (I do not know if I can tell you his/her name) has asked Apple directly about this and the employee said that it is not supported by Apple and definitely not supported by Autodesk...

I do not think that it is a "it may break the program" issue, but rather a "we have not tried it and are not going to try it so use it at your own risk" issue...The employee also said that there is no current plan to add a Mac version of AutoCAD to the mix obviously for monetary reasons...

From what I have HEARD though, it works well and sometimes faster...I have no experience, but this is what I have heard on the forums...Search them for "AutoCAD & Apple" or "AutoCAD & Mac" and you will come up with quite a few hits...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre
    ...no current plan to add a Mac version of AutoCAD to the mix obviously for monetary reasons...
    While not wanting to seem absolutely paranoid, It's probably a lot more than just the cost of doing a port to OSX that is hampering Autodesk from embracing OSX. Back in the day, AutoCAD ran on numerous platforms, from DOS, MacOS, multiple versions of Unix, and even on VMS. These days, the development is totally windows-centric, and fundamentally tied to Microsoft and their development tools. FORTH is almost totally gone, just a touch of it left in Diesel, even LISP is slowly being ignored in favor of the MS development languages.

Given the propensity of the MS for embrace, extend, extinguish, and noting that the time frame is consistent with the worst anti-competitive, monopolistic tactics, it's not at all hard to picture a scenario with MS suggesting that if Adesk stops all non-windows development, MS won't develop a cad package. Since Adesk faced a much more competitive situation then, such a suggestion would have had significant impact.

Also, note that Actrix disappeared at the same time Visio was acquired by MS, even though Actrix was a better technical diagramming application, and potentially a superb tool for P&ID, Instrumentation and control, riser diagrams.
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2006-12-16 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Fix closing [/QUOTE] tag.

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

[QUOTE=cadtag]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre
    ...no current plan to add a Mac version of AutoCAD to the mix obviously for monetary reasons...
    QUOTE]

While not wanting to seem absolutely paranoid, It's probably a lot more than just the cost of doing a port to OSX that is hampering Autodesk from embracing OSX. Back in the day, AutoCAD ran on numerous platforms, from DOS, MacOS, multiple versions of Unix, and even on VMS. These days, the development is totally windows-centric, and fundamentally tied to Microsoft and their development tools. FORTH is almost totally gone, just a touch of it left in Diesel, even LISP is slowly being ignored in favor of the MS development languages.

Given the propensity of the MS for embrace, extend, extinguish, and noting that the time frame is consistent with the worst anti-competitive, monopolistic tactics, it's not at all hard to picture a scenario with MS suggesting that if Adesk stops all non-windows development, MS won't develop a cad package. Since Adesk faced a much more competitive situation then, such a suggestion would have had significant impact.

Also, note that Actrix disappeared at the same time Visio was acquired by MS, even though Actrix was a better technical diagramming application, and potentially a superb tool for P&ID, Instrumentation and control, riser diagrams.
    I cannot argue with that point of view...I am sure that because AutoCAD has so much developed in .Net rather than ARX now it would be difficult to create a different version for another OS and get the same result...Autodesk relies completely on Microsoft to help develop a "better" product for the Windows environment...I am sure that is why they do not have an OSX version...As of right now Windows is on most of the business world's workstations and as long as it stays that way, AutoCAD will be a windows only platform...Of course, how can anyone use another OS when what they need is only on one OS therefore creating a trap...

I am not a Windows homer, but I guess you can say that I am an AutoCAD homer...I have used some of the other CAD systems out there and (maybe because I have used AutoCAD for years and I am stuck with the Command Line) AutoCAD seems to be the slickest and cleanest...Now I have seen some people who are great with other CAD programs that hate AutoCAD...It really depends on which you got comfortable with when you first started...

My $0.02...

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Running CAD on Intel based Macs