See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fire Rating Solution

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Fire Rating Solution

This was another lengthy, joint effort between me and my colleague Tony Isenhoff that generated considerable interest at AU 2006. This may be better located in the Families section. It was a judgment call - the moderators may prefer to move this thread.

It is not perfect and does not do everything we would prefer but I will offer that our users like this much better than using linetypes in AutoCAD. This may be complicated for new users but you could always forward this to your reseller technical support person and ask for help.

Attached is a PDF with an image of the library we have made, a ZIP file containing an example project you may use to deconstruct how we made it work, and a PDF with a live demonstration. Hopefully, this will get you started and you can avoid spending the many hours it took us to make it work.

A Few Extra Tips
    • Our families are only successful for 1/16" and 1:20 plans. This is all we needed. If you do life safety drawings at a larger scale and don't like the text spacing, you may want duplicate families.

• Check the End Offset parameter to see how to avoid text on text in corners.

• Visibility parameters are your friends.

We could probably write a 50 page tutorial on this but time, as always, is the enemy. My suggestion is to keep requesting a better OOTB solution from Autodesk.

Good luck.

P. S. I'll buy dinner at AU next year if anyone has the time to explore a method for doing this with curved walls. We tabled that for awhile hoping all our designers will develop boxes. International Style, anyone?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by phyllisr; 2006-12-14 at 10:02 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Fire Rating Solution

Great work Phyllis and Tony!

I'm attaching a slightly modified rfa. I made a little addition to your formula so that if the edge offset is adjusted, the array takes that into account and the label spacing stays closer to the original and you don't end up with overlapping labels.

Ok, so I'll take you up on that lunch/dinner for next year See my other posted family. It's some heavy math in there. If you attended any of Steve Stafford's labs on families, I presented a short segment on this concept and how it works (the example was a useless detail component that helped me figure out the process and then I briefly showed a curved and angled walkway cover family). I haven't checked to see if all the material is on AUOnline but if not I'll send you an email with the handout to explain the math behind it. I started working on this firetape on the flight back from AU and finished it that weekend.

My family can be adjusted to work for any scale relative to a 1/16" scale. Most of our code review plans are at 1/16" or smaller. In the type parameters there's "Scale base16" parameter. If you want to scale this up for a 1"=20'-0" plan, then change the parameter to 240/192. If you want to make it work for 1/8" drawings, then change the parameter to 96/192 (which is 0.5)....you get the point. Hope this helps! Oh by the way, I haven't cleaned up the naming of the nested families yet as it's still not a "production" version

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Fire Rating Solution

Hi'

Please forgive my ignorance but I cannot download your .rfa files (they save as attachement.php) - what do I do Wrong?

Andre

Login to Give a bone

Hmmmmm not sure, mine save just fine. Must be something with your system....try right clicking on the attachment, "Save target as" instead of clicking on the attachments.

I could stop if I wanted to Chirag Mistry's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This is great. Thanks Phil and David.
    I have been wondering about this for quite sometime. What if we are to embed the fire tape as coarse fill pattern in the wall type. I have'nt tried it yet, but would think will work.
    Any suggestions/feedback as to why we should not do it this way.

Thanks

I could stop if I wanted to Chirag Mistry's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Nevermind, if we do it as a pattern you will have to create different pattern for horizontal, vertical, angular walls...
    I like Phil's idea better.

Login to Give a bone

If you do fills, you have a couple of issues.

First, if you show this information on 1/16" plans or larger, your 4" or 6" interior partitions will be too small to show a legible hatch. We always like to show ratings with a pattern larger than the wall so it's readable. Secondly, I prefer to reserve the coarse hatch for presentation purposes. Thirdly, you probably eill have issues with curved walls and the hatch won't show correct.

As to your statement, I don't think you need different patterns for straight wall (vertical vs horizontal vs angled), as long as the pattern is defined in such a way as to align itself with the walls.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    I made a little addition to your formula so that if the edge offset is adjusted, the array takes that into account and the label spacing stays closer to the original and you don't end up with overlapping labels.
    Since you so graciously posted an improvement, could I ask a favor? We have not deployed 9.1 yet (I know, but never mind...). Do you still have a 9.0 version?

So were you totally impressed with my font solution for the diamonds? Now, if only I could change fonts within a single label - would make it less complicated to get the NCS Diamonds with S for smoke partitions.

Login to Give a bone

Here you go....unfortunately the curved firetape is in 9.1 and I cannot go backwards. I'm posting some snapshots to make you want to upgrade The 4 versions are all managed in one family with 4 different types.

Haha yep, I like the font technique but unfortunately we don't have parametric control over changing the font name. But in your case what you can so is use two text boxes on top of each other and then apply a visibility Type Parameter to control whether you see the regular font text box or the Windings text box. That way you can manage your types in less families.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Phyllisr,

Your process of showing the fire ratings is very ingenious. They work very well. I am wondering if you have ever used a dashed line instead of a solid line. I cannot figure out how to alter the appearance of the line. Could you help please?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast