See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fire Rating Solution

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Fire Rating Solution

Richard
    Copy the Wall to the Clipboard, then start a New File, using a Metric or Imperial Template, then paste it into it
    These Default Templates in Revit a quite small. Don't use your normal Template

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Fire Rating Solution

Quote Originally Posted by d.stairmand View Post
    Richard
    Copy the Wall to the Clipboard, then start a New File, using a Metric or Imperial Template, then paste it into it
    These Default Templates in Revit a quite small. Don't use your normal Template
    Nope, the smallest default template I have is like 2.06 MB's for the template alone (Revit Architecture 2011). I figured out I could at least print my files to PDF to graphically illustrate what I want to get across tho. The more I work with Revit, the more I am disturbed by the fact that Revit forces me to do things the way it wants instead of the way I want, but that is an entirely different issue.

That said, I am continuing my work on this firetape issue, and I'm still hoping that someone will look at my previously posted .rfa family and enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong. In the meantime I have been working with Dave Baldacchino's curved firetape, and uncovered the issues with it shown in the attachments. I am working on a Project that is essentially a round building with wings, which is why this firetape solution is particularly applicable. Also it pretty much mirrors how I used to do it back in the days of working with AutoCad.

Dave's original file seems to have several nested families, and I have been trying to edit them with no success. I can't seem to edit them to remove the boxes that block out parts of the underlying walls in the drawing. Perhaps it is as simple as sending them to the background? I'll try that. Anyway, the family I'm attaching is Dave's original that he posted earlier in this thread (if I can).

Any insight is appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

OK, still working on this. I managed to alter Dave's Curved Firetape to achieve the look I want, but somehow I managed to lose all control of the end points and the radius in the process. I thought I would post this just to show what I am trying to acheive graphically. The lines have now become filled regions, and there aren't boxes that obliterate the walls under them.

I think I just need a little nudge to push me to the AHA stage.

Login to Give a bone

Hi there! Not sure what is causing portions of the wall to be hidden. I wonder if this is an upgrade bug as this family was done a loooong time ago. I'll take a look when I get a chance and post back.

Login to Give a bone

Here you go. The original family was built before Revit's masking regions were introduced. Something changed and a transparent solid filled region no longer acts like it did when this family was created. Back then using a filled region was probably the only way (or simplest) to achieve this and setting it to transparent made the boundary visible but the fill went invisible. Clearly this is no longer tha case.

Also if I recall correctly, dimensioning to intersections was not possible, which made it difficult to achieve radial constraining. I now removed the filled region and used constraints to intersections and it seems to be working fine. No more masking =)

Login to Give a bone

Hiya Dave,

Thanks for the help. The changes you made loaded perfectly. I have some other things about it I want to discuss. I'm getting married this morning so I'll be too busy today tho.

Thanks again for the help and hopefully we'll talk some more soon.

Login to Give a bone

Haha np, quit thinking about curved firetapes at least for today then

Login to Give a bone

Dave,

The wife is taking a nap, so I have a bit of time.

I've been trying to dissect your Curved Firetape 2011 family, so that I can modify it myself to to differentiate between Fire Walls and Fire-Rated Partitions, Smoke Walls, etc. I'm the 1st to admit I'm not great at families yet, so I also just want to understnd this family in general, and also I want to pop the graphics up a bit by using filled regions instead of just lines.

So I've been looking at it, and if I open the Curved Firewall family, click on the modeled line and edit family, it takes me to Curved Detail4. Clicking on the modeled line there and edit family, it takes me to Curved Detail3, continuing this process takes me to Curved Detail2. The next thing is to go to Families in the view pane, bring Curved Host1.rfa into the drawing area, then highlight it and edit family. Then I highlight the lines in this family, edit family, and I get Curved Lines1.rfa, where the lines actually reside.

I thought that simply editing Curved Lines1.rfa then reloading that into Curved Host1.rfa, and then loading curved Host1 into Detail2.rfa, etc, would work, but it doesn't come in properly (see attached). Maybe I am just missing something, or my lack of understanding familes is just showing, but if you could illuminate me and send me down the right path, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

This family isn't for the faint at heart or the beginner. It's a little complicated and yes, there are 4 nesting levels. This was the only way to get this family to flex correctly. When it comes to radial arrays, Revit doesn't make things very simple But you're on the right track. The geometry that you need to edit is in the first nested family, which then has to be reloaded into the second level, then the third, then the 4th. If it's not behaving properly it means somethings has been changed and not properly constrained/connected. Post an example of what you're trying to get to like a pdf or jpg of the desired result/pattern and I'll see if it's easy to edit.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Are we talking about Revit or Inception!

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    ...The geometry that you need to edit is in the first nested family, which then has to be reloaded into the second level, then the third, then the 4th.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast