Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrapped material in void/window family

Login to Give a bone

Default Wrapped material in void/window family

I have begun creating a window family using voids to represent the difference in size between frame opening and masonry opening in a window in a stud/brick cavity wall (thanks HenryD). When I place the window in a wall, the plan view does exactly what I want it to do, and the 3D almost does. The only problem is that the brick material does not wrap into the void created by the family. How can I fix this? I have seen others' work where this was correct. See attached examples.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chad.gore; 2006-12-20 at 09:09 PM. Reason: clarity

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wrapped material in void/window family

(I am using the German Version of Revit so the terms my be inaccurate)

The behaviour of walls at openings is a type parameter of all walls under the "Construction" heading. It can be set to wrap the exterior or the interior wall layer or both around the opening corners. In addition to that it is also a standard type parameter of windows families that overwrites the setting of the host wall if set accordingly.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by chad.gore
    I have begun creating a window family using voids to represent the difference in size between frame opening and masonry opening in a window in a stud/brick cavity wall (thanks HenryD). When I place the window in a wall, the plan view does exactly what I want it to do, and the 3D almost does. The only problem is that the brick material does not wrap into the void created by the family. How can I fix this? I have seen others' work where this was correct. See attached examples.
    You'll have to use the paint tool to paint the material on the unhatched surface.

Login to Give a bone

I have the Wall Construction set to wrap the exterior components at inserts. I do not see a Wall Closure parameter in the family's type parameter list, perhaps because I started with a generic wall-based family template. Can I add the parameter, or should I try to "copy" the family I have created into a window family template?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple
    You'll have to use the paint tool
    No good. The surface is part of the void in the family.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2006-12-20 at 10:50 PM. Reason: quote repair

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by chad.gore
    I have the Wall Construction set to wrap the exterior components at inserts. I do not see a Wall Closure parameter in the family's type parameter list, perhaps because I started with a generic wall-based family template. Can I add the parameter, or should I try to "copy" the family I have created into a window family template?
    Generally you can do that: Open the Window family, go to menu settings, "family-category and parameter...". In the dialog you can switch the family's category. Unfortunately as far i can see, it will not add the default parameters (i guess they are really programmed into the template file, not the category definition itself).

So i guess you'll have to copy paste after all. It is definitely good practice to use specific templates, as it will also give you default object styles for say, glass, frame etc. that will be consistent with existing or 3rd party families of the same category.

Login to Give a bone

I am slowly concluding the same thing. Oh, well, it shouldn't be too much extra work. Thanks for all the replies.

Login to Give a bone

The wall closure parameter has nothing to do with the template. That' s a property of the reference plane. Take a look at the attachment. You'll need to place two ref planes along the wall direction and control where you want the front one and the back one to be. Go to their properties and give them a name and check the Wall Closure checkbox. Revit will then know that they define the wrapping extents.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    The wall closure parameter has nothing to do with the template. That' s a property of the reference plane.
    Thanks, DB. I have that part set up already (you'll notice in the plan picture that I attached that the brick wraps wonderfully). I'm like you, though, I can't figure why that doesn't mean that it will display correctly in 3D. In any case, I have begun creating a new family beginning from a window template, and early tests are positive. Using a window family template has the "Wall Closure" parameter embedded in it, which seems to handle the problem.

Login to Give a bone

I've asked Support before about problems like this when starting from a generic model family and assigning it to a category later.....not all parameters that are resident in the dedicated template transfer over. It's quite annoying and I hope they fix it soon. I lost some doors from a schedule being filtered by level (was lucky to catch it in time) because some doors created from GM template and assigned to the Door category did not contain a level property, so they were dumped from the schedule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast