See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAD Standards

Login to Give a bone

Default CAD Standards

I'm wondering if anyone has some links to some examples of some CAD Standards. I'm currently in the process of rewriting ours since they havent been done since release 12 and theyre in need of a majot overhaul. I have some examples i got from the old forums and around the web. specifically the ones from the US department of defense, State of Wisconsin Department of Highways and California State University, the majority of which are geared more towards larger scale construction and departments. Were a small Engineering Department (only 12 staff) and we deal mainly with Residential construction. If anyone has some links to some examples, or other resources or even any helpful ideas it would be greatly appreciated.!

I could stop if I wanted to JASONM30395's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CAD Standards

My experience is that it depends alot on who your clients are, and if they want you to meet there standards. My firm deals a lot with PWGSC ( http://www.agri.ns.ca/pwgsc-cad/Cadspec.html )and NSTPW, ( http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Technology...s_Ja0703-r.PDF) so those are our two prevalent standards. If it's just for "in-house" drawings some people think it's ok to get sloppy, but that generally will come back to bite you 4-5 years down the road.

The best thing to do is sit down and figure out
    1) What you need
    2) What you want
    3) What you can enforce (either through automating it or by yelling at people)
    4) How easy is it to use and follow.

Hope that helps.

I could stop if I wanted to awarren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: CAD Standards

Also remember the story about the architect and the sidewalks...

Just because you think it should be one way, if no one else does it won't be followed. Make sure you get inputs from the people doing the work. They probably know best, and if you use their ideas then you know they will follow them.

Login to Give a bone

All our drawings are in house, The only thing an outsider sees is a hard copy or DWf file, but every person in the department draws things a little differently and we've had several costly mistakes because a window was drawn on a layer that when it comes times to do the final drawings to construct the house it disappears because the layer filters we use turn that layer off in the final drawings. so With an updated departmental standard, I shouldnt have to yell as much

All help is appreciated . Thank you!,

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Also do yourself a favor, publish this standard on your
    intranet, then it is easy to update. Also consider linking it
    to your AutoCAD help file.

Login to Give a bone

I found this link to the A/E/C CADD Standards by The CADD/GIS Technology Center. I used it for some input when I put our standards together. Good luck.

http://tsc.wes.army.mil/products/sta.../aec/intro.asp

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Below are few snippets come from varies CAD Newsletters that may prove useful -

<snip>
    The second most popular link was to a CAD standard. This shows that there is a real hunger out there by users on standardizing their processes and drawings. This link had 54 click-thrus.
    The A/E/C CADD Standard has been developed by The CADD/GIS Technology Center to reduce redundant CADD standardization efforts within the Army, Navy, Air Force and Corps of Engineers. The standard is part of an initiative to consolidate existing CADD drafting standards into a format generic enough to operate under various CADD software packages (such as MicroStation® and AutoCAD®) and to incorporate existing industry/national standards.

Check out these standards
    </snip>

<snip>
    How Effective CAD Standards Deliver Profits - implementing CAD standards can increase your revenues, decrease expenses, provide higher returns and create working capital, Barrie Mathews, CADdigest.com
    </snip>

<snip>
    Over 100 subscribers downloaded Melanie Stone's CAD Standards...too bad the file was corrupted. You can get the uncorrupted file by downloading at Department of Facilities Engineering CADD STANDARDS
    </snip>

<snip>
    How to Develop Your CAD Standards - a guide designed to explain the importance of CAD standards within the construction industry, Construct I.T. for Business
    </snip>

<snip>
    UK MICROSTATION GROUP POSTS AEC CAD STANDARD
    Version 2.0 of the AEC (UK) CAD Standard is now available at the UK Bentley User Group Web site:

AEC(UK)CADStandards-v2.zip

The standard is designed to be a real-world solution for small firms that don't have the resources to come up with their own layer schemes. The standard is intentionally simplistic so that it can be adopted and customized by any construction-based company.
    </snip>

Have a good one, Mike
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2004-06-30 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Fix one of the links

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: CAD Standards

Arcadia, wondering what version you are running now?

You can download my standards off of Elise Moss's website, as Mike said but, I am in the midst of overhauling them, as they were written primarily with 2000 in mind.

If you have any input as to must-have items, please share them here. Might help me in my revisions.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Again thanks everyone for your help. .

Wanderer we're running AutoCAD and ADT 2004, we're supposed to have been all converted to ADT by now but because we've been so busy and overwhelmed with work most are still using only AutoCAD. ADT will solve one of my biggest problems which is layering. Now the drafters are drawing on whatever layer suits their fancy, ignoring the exsisting standard. ADT will fix alot of that because doors, windows etc will all come in on the appropiate layers (im going to adopt the AIA scheme that comes wth ADT for our new standard). But i still have to deal with Autocad drawings till that time, and at the rate were going it'll be winter before everyones is using ADT (and of course they will have all forgotten their training by then )but thats a topic for a different thread.

Ill be happy to post a copy of our CADD Standards document for you Wanderer and everyone else to see as it progresses along and when its finally completed.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: CAD Standards

Never really thought about how the verticals work their standards.

That is good that ADT will make it easier for you.

Good luck, and look forward to seeing your manual!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast