Thread: AutoCAD 2006, 2007 performance issues on a Dell Precision Workstation 490

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD 2006, 2007 performance issues on a Dell Precision Workstation 490

I have a user experiencing extremely slow performance. She is using a Dell Precision Workstation 490 with two dual-core Xenon processors and 2G of Dual In-line memory 533M. The video card is a liquid cooled 528M FX 4500.

Problems are experienced in AutoCAD 2006, 2007, and 3D Studio Max. Any suggestions would help.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: AutoCAD 2006, 2007 performance issues on a Dell Precision Workstation 490

Quote Originally Posted by dfouch
    I have a user experiencing extremely slow performance. <SNIP>
    Hi

Please elaborate on the above statement.

Is AutoCAD running slow when performing all tasks ?

Is AutoCAD running slow when performing specific tasks ? If yes, what tasks.

Do all other programs run ok! ?

Have you checked if it is user related or hardware related ?

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2006, 2007 performance issues on a Dell Precision Workstation 490

I have a user experiencing extremely slow performance. She is using a Dell Precision Workstation 490 with two dual-core Xenon processors and 2G of Dual In-line memory 533M. The video card is a liquid cooled 528M FX 4500.

Problems are experienced in AutoCAD 2006, 2007, and 3D Studio Max. Any suggestions would help.
    Do you have the Powerdraft drivers installed from nVidia?

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2006, 2007 performance issues on a Dell Precision Workstation 490

AutoCAD will only use one of the "four" processors that the machine has, unless it is rendering...I think that 3DS Max is the same way, but that is only an assumption...However, you may be able to get around that...Try to find out if there is a way to "assign" programs to use a specific core or processor...I have heard of this being done, but I am not completely positive that it is possible...

Also, please answer the questions that Mike asked...Once you do, you will have a more precise response...Thanks...

Login to Give a bone

If you purchased the machine pre-installed with MS Office, it may have come with Business Contact Manager installed. I've found that un-installing that on a recent group of 490's with very similar specs helped a lot with programs hanging at launch and general system sluggishness.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I experience computer freezes using the xeon processor on a precision PWS470.

I think it has something to do with having certain files accessed over the network.
    AutoCad runs much smoother when none of the filepaths point to network locations.
    All blocks and plotter configurations are on the local drive.

The server continues to duplicate itself all day long and I think it messes with network
    access for all users. Often times a computer freezes for 10-20 seconds. Duplication makes it almost impossible to lose any data. I would complain, but I cannot remember the last time the server was down. I would steer autocad paths away from the server.

Then again, I may be wrong. Nothing surprises me with computers anymore.
    Last edited by Robert.Hall; 2007-01-03 at 06:59 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your responces and I'm sorry I have not responded back, I've been out of town. To answer Roberts questions, AutoCAD is running very slowely mainly when drawing in 3D coneptual views. It seems to run much better in 2D wireframe mode, however, a 78M drawing takes 5 minutes to load when located on the c drive. (I've timed it) Other programs seem to run fine on the system.

Dell has checked all of the hardware and even replaced most of it and nothing has changed. I have repartisioned the hard drive and did a fresh load. Performanced was the same with only AutoCAD installed on the machine. I have rolled back the video driver to ensure it is supported by Autodesk. I do know that Business contact manager is not installed. I hope that covers all of the questions. This is a very strange issue and I'm wondering if it's not a variable somewhere in AutoCAD, or something to do with swap size, etc.

Please let me know if you need more info or have any suggestions. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your responces and I'm sorry I have not responded back, I've been out of town. To answer Roberts questions, AutoCAD is running very slowely mainly when drawing in 3D coneptual views. It seems to run much better in 2D wireframe mode, however, a 78M drawing takes 5 minutes to load when located on the c drive. (I've timed it) Other programs seem to run fine on the system.
    i dont do much 3D work - but isnt that pretty large file?

Login to Give a bone

It is a large file, but I don't believe it is unusually large for 3D work. That's why I bought a beefy machine. I could be wrong.