Thread: opaque glass

Login to Give a bone

Default opaque glass

Is there some way to have glass in windows show as opaque in elevation view so you don't see stuff inside the building?

Thanks,

Bill

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: opaque glass

Quote Originally Posted by hirschnc
    Is there some way to have glass in windows show as opaque in elevation view so you don't see stuff inside the building?

Thanks,

Bill
    In elevation glass is always opaque.... do you mean in 3D? or is maybe the element you are looking at in elevation hidden in elevation (from within the family)?

include the glass element in your next post....glass is never transparent in true elevation views (only in 3d views the glass is transparent) regardless of the "hidden/shaded" views.

Login to Give a bone

Luigi:

I checked my elevations more closely and this seems to only be happening on the windows I had someone make for me. (new families). I'll bet there is some setting in the family that is doing this. I'll run this by the family's creator.

Thanks,

Bill

Login to Give a bone

Bill, you can easily manipulate the appearance of materials in your (unrendered) model by changing the settings in the 'shading' tab of the material's properties. You can change the graphic transparency to 0% if you like. It will not affect the material's rendering qualities.
    Also, if you uncheck "Update when AccuRender selection occurs", the shading settings will stay unchanged even after choosing a new glass type or other material.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

...I'll bet there is some setting in the family that is doing this...
    Bill, the setting you're looking for pops up at the top of the screen when you select the opening while you're in family edit mode of the window family...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

It then sounds like it is a feature your family creator used....it's not a bad feature..maybe he made it part of the family to turn on and off the glass? If that is not the case, just ask him to add a Yes/No parameter to the visibility of the glass...when you need it on, check it on, when you need it off, check it off from within the project...just remember that it is either on in all views, or off in all views in your project for each type of family...

Take care,

Luigi:

I checked my elevations more closely and this seems to only be happening on the windows I had someone make for me. (new families). I'll bet there is some setting in the family that is doing this. I'll run this by the family's creator.

Thanks,

Bill

Login to Give a bone

It could be that the glass element in the family is set to not be visible in elevations, but that would only apply to perfect perpendicular elevations. If that window is placed on an angled wall and viewed in elevation also at an angle, the glass would still display. It could also be that there's a detail level setting that is causing the glass to not show, or perhaps a subcategory on which it resides is turned off.

Login to Give a bone

It turned out that the detail level was the culprit. the glass was set to not show at "coarse." I love this forum. It sure makes learning Revit easier.

thanks to all,
    Bill

Login to Give a bone

...I love this forum. It sure makes learning Revit easier...
    I hear you. Working at an office where I am being expected to implement Revit, I have no one to turn to if I run into a road block. The Revit Forums usually provide a solution or just enough of a hint to help me figure it out...